solutions for viewing remote desktop

kon21

Registered
Can I get some suggestions on what to use allow me to remotly view my Mac desktop at home?

Currently I'm using VNC, (with OSXvnc), works, but it's slow overall, I have to go 8bit color to make up for the redraw. Also how do I change the resolution without going full screen on the VNC client? In window mode, i have to scrool to get to the edged of the laptop, any way to set the view to say 800x600?

the cost of Apple Remote Desktop is what's stopping me.

Hope Apple provides us with something soon. Gotta love Remote Desktop Connection that comes built in with XP.

if you change th res of the laptop screen from the system preferences, like you were sitting in front of it, it will change the size of the vnc window. thats the same client i use, and it works for me. but i don't think you'll ever find anything anywhere near as fast as the mac itself.

I use Apple Remote Desktop it is very good but they could make a smaller user license for home users. Anyway it works very well for me.

VNC will always be slow, ARD isn't much better. Changing the resolution on the target computer will also change the VNC window, although ARD will resize windows to fit your screen. The bottom line is that you don't really use remote desktop apps for doing any "real" work, mostly for changing settings, fixing things, or configuring something.

Not resolution, but the color depth on the VNC server.

VNC works really well for me. Of course, it isn't lightening speed, but it works.

However, on a LAN, the speed is very fast..

Back