Sound Files in Mac OS X

Dean M

Registered
Hi. Where does Mac OS 10.4.9 keep the .wav files?
I want to change my Thunderbird incoming mail notificaion sound.
I didn't find any reference in Mac Help or Search in this forum......
Thanks. Dean M

And more generally: That rather depends on the application than the OS. The OS itself doesn't use .wav files at all. It uses .aiff files instead.

Might either be a typo, a development version (nothing illegal about that as long as you're ADC Select or Premier) or a way to make a thread being "up-to-date" even when Apple finally _releases_ the update in one of the coming weeks. ;)

Either way: 10.4.9 won't change much about where soundfiles are stored.

Thanks ORA. I'll put that site in my Favorites. But it doesn't direct me to any .wav files in Mac OS X.

And more generally: That rather depends on the application than the OS. The OS itself doesn't use .wav files at all. It uses .aiff files instead.
Thanks. Can I convert the .aiff sounds to .wav ?
And it was a typo. I know 10.4.9 isn't out yet.

10.4.9? its not even out yet, so how do you have it?
IT WAS A TYPEO. I know 10.4.9 insn't released yet. Apparently (according to Fyke) there aren't any .wav files at all. Wonder if I can get some from my
installed Microsoft Office for Mac..........

Erh... What exactly is your goal with all this? Do you just need some .wav type files for testing something? Or are you looking for specific sounds of the OS or an application? (And 10.4.9 is out now, btw.)

Right click on the Thunderbird app icon and choose 'Show Package Contents', then in contents there'll be a 'Resources' folder, go into that and have dig around, the aiff files will most likely be in there or possibly in 'English.lproj' or whatever your native language is. If you replace a sound file, make sure you give it the same name as the one you replace and is the same format (most likely aiff - you can convert wav into aiff in iTunes if need be)

Erh... What exactly is your goal with all this? Do you just need some .wav type files for testing something? Or are you looking for specific sounds of the OS or an application? (And 10.4.9 is out now, btw.)[/

Thunderbird Mail has an option to change the incoming 'mail notification' alert sound. It requires a .wav file and I just needed to know if I could browse to an OS X sound folder with .wave files (or convert .aiff files to .wav) and direct that path to Thunderbirds' incoming mail.

Thunderbird Mail has an option to change the incoming 'mail notification' alert sound. It requires a .wav file and I just needed to know if I could browse to an OS X sound folder with .wave files (or convert .aiff files to .wav) and direct that path to Thunderbirds' incoming mail.

Ah, I see. You can convert .aiff to .wav also In iTunes
OS Xs' system sounds are in /System/Library/Sounds if you want to use those (remember to make a copy, don't convert the original). And probably the easiest way to search what audio files are on your hdd is to do a Spotlight search with this search criteria> kind:audio
hope that helps.

Back