Speedier Window Openings

MXERYZ125

Registered
i dont know if anyone knew about this but it was new to me a way to speed the opening of windows in x...well to do it do the following

open up the Terminal application (found in /Applications/Utilities/) and type:
PHP:
sudo pico /library/preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist
(you'll need to enter your admin password in order to proceed)
PHP:
Move the cursor down below the first <dict> tag, and paste the following text in:

<key>BackingCompression</key>
<dict>
<key>compressionScanTime</key>
<real>5.000000000000000e+00</real>
<key>minCompressableSize</key>
<integer>8193</integer>
<key>minCompressionRatio</key>
<real>1.100000023841858e+00</real>
</dict>

Then hit Control-X to exit pico (hitting the Y key to save the changes before exiting when it asks you), then log out and back in again, and ta da! Compressed window buffers. It worked for me so give it a shot...trip maybe if u dont already have this u can put it into the os x guide thingy

Wrong.

This has nothing to do with and will not speed up opening new windows. Compression doesn't kick in until after the window has ben drawn. This decreases RAM use and may speed things up because your disk will not be polled for data as frequently, but the hack will not speed things up otherwise.

You're right in that it doesn't make window opening faster until after it is opened, but frequently the data stays compressed for simple actions like simply moving the window around, so it can make some actions just a tad speedier. Don't expect it to make OS X faster-than-light-speed fast, though.

I tried this a while back and no difference, but I have 576 MB RAM so maybe that's why.

Isn't this feature on by default in 10.1.2?

No, the feature is still not disabled by default. You still should be able to enable it yourself.

You can also see the results if you have the Dev Tools and open the window list in Quartz Debug.app.

Back