Spotlight and Filemaker Pro DB

hilmac

Registered
Spotlight is truly amazing. But it isn't able to seach text fields in a database (FMP 6 in this instance). I've tried to search on a basic text field for a last name in a simple address DB. The name isn't found. Is this because of the way FMP saves the file when closed? Perhaps compressed? I did open the file and tried the search again with no better result.

A filemaker plugin will have to be written before this can work. It might not be easy to do either because Spotlight works on the basis that each result is in a separate file and not one monolithic database file.

i have one question,

is it possible to add .php, .html extension to my Spotlight? recently, i want to search for a text inside my .php files, unfortunately, my Spotlight doesn't search the .php files.

example : my folder has these files (index.php, search.php, preview.php)

when i do search for "mysql_query" inside this folder, Spotlight returns 0 items. but when i do search for "index", it will return 1 item.

does this mean that, Spotlight does not index my .php files?

thanks in forward.

I read somewhere (ars technica IIRC) that you could set the filetype to "text" so that spotlight would index files such as logs as if they were just text (i.e. with the standard .txt metadata importer plugin). You'd have to force a re-indexing then, but it would probably do what you want it to do.

EDIT: The thread is in the MacintoshianAchaia over at ArsTechnica and is named "Why won't Spotlight index log files?". I would have tried out the suggestions myself, but I am not yet on Tiger. I'm going to Archive&Install this weekend and try some things out. I _need_ a LaTeX mdimporter.

I have a preliminary LaTeX importer working. So far it just indexes the entire contents of the file including the markup. It should be possible for me to work out the syntax of the file and write a more complete importer plugin.

This is my first time using LaTeX but since it's just plain text it's pretty easy to do so far.

Indeed, it should be relatively easy as the most important metadata (author, title, date, packages used, citations etc.) are already contained explicitly in commands.

Back