SSH information and tutorials

Woodgie2

rack mounted
At the moment I use ssh in it's most basic form for logging onto another computer and working on it at the command line (my webserver etc.). All this is done on the LAN behind the firewall, so it's 'safe' to have ssh 'open' to the network.

However, What I'd ideally like is to set up ssh on a computer on the LAN and have it only accecpt connections where keys match, i.e. my laptop, and for it to refuse/drop other connections. Then I can chain ssh sessions to the other computers on the LAN who will only accecpt 'keyed' sessions from this bastion host and my laptop. It has to be this way (going through a bastion host) because my netgear router will only foward traffic for a certain port to a certain host on the network, hence from outside the firewall things will have to be chained to get to another host on the network.

Is this possible? From what I gather it is. Am I making sense?

Good!

The thing is, search as I might I can't seem to find any in depth tutorials on this. Does anyone know of any good tutorials or enen how to set up ssh this way?

Thanks,
William

Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but if you change the following on your remote SSH login server:

[/etc/sshd_config or whatever equivalent SSH server config file]

PasswordAuthentication no

This will force public key encryption instead of simply encrypted passwords.

Cheers.

legacyb4 said:
Not sure if this is what you are talking about, but if you change the following on your remote SSH login server:

[/etc/sshd_config or whatever equivalent SSH server config file]

PasswordAuthentication no

This will force public key encryption instead of simply encrypted passwords.

Cheers.

Oooooohhhh, thank 'ee guv. I'll try that, I think I have the other part of the puzzle...

Back