standard pci card not fitting in g5 pci slot

2GMario

Registered
quick question, cant figure this out

for years i was a pc user. finally got my ibook, which led to me getting a dual 1.8 g5 recently

the video card in the g5 is adiquate for the work i do (web design) but i miss my multi monitor setup i had on my pc's

oviously i could get a adc to vga adapter from Griffen Technologies, but i have so many pc parts laying around, i figured i try to use a pc, pci video card, geforce 2, in my g5

doesnt fit. the card doesnt line up at all.

read the manual, etc... says look at the serial # on the case and itll tell u if u have pci or pci-x. i have pci

why doesnt a regular pci video card fit in a g5 ? or am i just missing something here.

does the g5 not use standard pci slots as found in a regular pc ?

Thanks
-Mario

Are you sure that the PCI video card is really PCI? It could be AGP.

Also, your PC video card is not going to do a damn thing in the Macintosh unless you "flash" the ROM, and even after you do that, it still may not function at all.

Don't put PC stuff in your Mac. Video cards are one of the main PCI/AGP components that are NOT cross-platform compatible.

The G5's PCI slots are as standard as they come. I think what you have is an AGP graphics card.

Pray tell, what types of PCI cards are cross-platform compatible. I've got a very nice PCI TV Tuner card (made by Asus for the PC) which I would love to be able to use in my PowerMac G4. However I can find no evidence of anyone ever using it (or even trying to use it) in a Mac -- and since it's not a DV device I doubt it would work for capturing old VHS tapes into the Mac anyway.

FWI, I was not able to get a PC GF2 card to work with my G4 correctly. It caused screen flicker and screen artifacts.

Your best bet is to get a Mac PCI vid. card or ADC>VGA adapter.

Freiheit said:
Pray tell, what types of PCI cards are cross-platform compatible. I've got a very nice PCI TV Tuner card (made by Asus for the PC) which I would love to be able to use in my PowerMac G4. However I can find no evidence of anyone ever using it (or even trying to use it) in a Mac -- and since it's not a DV device I doubt it would work for capturing old VHS tapes into the Mac anyway.

umm, if it's wintv-clone, you can try to use iTV for it... I've a wintv nicam (bt878) and it works - not flawlessly, but works.

Freiheit said:
Well, try this or this.

Back