start a computer without password

scottyramos

Registered
Hey can someone help me PLEEEAAAASSSEEE!

i just purchased an 2001 IBook laptop from my brother-in-law and the first thing I did was delete the password. NOW, when i start the computer and try to log on, the log on box shakes side to side a few times and the log on below starts to move then the lines stops and the computer appears to freeze.

How can I get logged on. Some body please help me!!!!!!

Thanks for responding. I did not think anyone would

I BELIEVE went to the preference section and asked to change the log in name. It asked for the password, which I provided. I then changed the log in name and deleted the password. It appears it may have also asked if I wanted to remove the password box, which I may have done, but I am not sure.

If you could help me you would be my hero!

You probably unchecked the "automatically login as" check box in accounts prefs. Before that you were used to restarting the computer and landing at your desktop. Now it's asking for a user and password since auto login is turned off. If it's giving a list of users, try the user(s) and see if the password is blank. If it's asking for you to type in the username as well as the password, things will not be so easy. In any event, you should be able to get the correct password from your in-law.

Hey can someone help me PLEEEAAAASSSEEE!

i just purchased an 2001 IBook laptop from my brother-in-law and the first thing I did was delete the password. NOW, when i start the computer and try to log on, the log on box shakes side to side a few times and the log on below starts to move then the lines stops and the computer appears to freeze.
You can use the Mac OS X Install CD/DVD to reset the password by booting from the CD/DVD then selecting "Reset Password" from the Installer menu.

Hopefully your brother-in-law sold you the original Mac OS X Install CD/DVD along with the iBook -- if not, well, I would go back to him and request them. Buying a computer without having the original OS install CD/DVD included is like purchasing a car without the seller including the keys.

Back