storing all user data on an iPod

ChromePlanet

Registered
I am switching from Windows and as a rule store all my data on an external drive so I can use it on different computers.

Can I do this in OSX using an iPod in Firewire disk mode? Where does OSX store all the data files for Address Book, iCal, Mail, etc? Can these files be on a removable drive?

I found a 3rd party utility that allows iPhoto to store its photos on any drive I want, which works well. But what about the other applications?

Storing your data on a separate partition has always been useful and more secure.

Firstly, you needn't store things like your address book or calendars (if you use the built in Address Book and iCal) because they will automatically synchronize with your iPod using iSync.

As for any other files, you can configure your iPod to self-enable "disk mode" through iTunes, which means you'll get a little iPod icon on your desktop which acts like any other (removable) hard disk when you plug in your iPod.

As for Mail, you can either use an IMAP mailbox, which means the mail is never stored on your computer at all but always remains on the server, or use a POP3 box and configure it to leave mail on the server until it's deleted from the client machine. That's how I keep access to all my mail, since I travel a lot and don't have a laptop (and actually a couple of my computers are old 386s with RedHat Linux). But to answer your question, the files are stored in ~/Library/Mail/ but you'd probably need a hack of some kind to move the mailbox permanently, off the top of my head I don't think you can tell Mail directly to look elsewhere for your mailboxes (but I might be wrong, I'm not at my Mac right now).

One thing though, I wouldn't suggest keeping ALL your data on removeable media; why not just keeping backups? I understand the desire for portability, but if you lose your iPod.... :p

PS I would also advise that you work on your iPod's files on the computer's hard disk, and them move them back to the iPod -- don't work directly off your iPod.

It's probably not a really big deal, but I did a few tests myself, working directly off my iPod. With constant disk access it gets hot, and I don't mean warm, I mean H O T. That's probably not a good thing.

Keep in mind the iPod isn't designed as an external hard disk (like for example a LaCie FW HD would be), it's only for storing music and some user data (and some backups if you want). All of that involves minimal, infrequent writes to the iPod's hard disk, which by the way isn't even ventilated.

External hard drives are getting cheaper each and every day, so that might be one option to consider as it gives you more room to play with as well as a space for a backup.
Or just burn stuff to CDs, but that can be a bit time-consuming.

Continuing from Randman, a tech I worked with had this awesome little VST 10GB (or maybe it was 5?) external FWHD, fire engine red with yellow rubber feet on the corners, bootable and all, and smaller than the iPod.

Back