Strange Problems!

bkaron

Yep, That's Me!
PowerBook G4
867 Mhz PowerPC
640 MB DDR SDRAM
Super Drive
Mac OS X 10.4.8

My PowerBook is acting very strange. The computer starts up normally. I'm able to successfully log into my account. All seems to me normal for about 20 seconds until I move my mouse pointer. It's like I'm holding down the left click, but I'm not. I move the mouse around and I'm highlighting all my files and folders but I'm able to click on individual items. If I click on a menu, for example, file, edit, view, ext. there is a one second delay. Moving my mouse pointer over the sub menus does nothing, they don't even get highlighted.(See my next post for images). Oh, and I can't startup from any CD.

As soon as the problem started I ran the automation feature in “OnyX” This feature repairs permissions, executes maintenance scripts, optimizes the system, and cleans temporary application files. OnyX didn't fix the problem. I also discovered that when you open any application it wont bring itself to the front of windows. I then proceeded to run Disk Warrior v3.0.3 but when I tried to start up from the CD the PowerBook popped it out and the computer started up normally. The same thing happened with the Mac OS X 10.4 Install DVD. I also tried to boot from the OSX CD by starting up the OS and following the Mac OS X install instructions. No dice!

Then I started up in single user mode and ran fsck-fy. The test told me that Mac OS X appearedComputer Pro to be ok. I zapped he PRAM, Reset open firmware, and Repaired permissions. Now I'm stuck. I have no clue what to do next, and I really would like to ovoid reinstalling the OS!

I had already posted this on this forum...but you may be interested. I'm also using Powebook with OS x 10.4.8

I have been experiencing a weird problem for a few days. When I try to access my Menubar menus, if I click, the menulist flashes at me but I can't "hold" the focus to allow me to choose an option. Eventually, after some time, I find I cannot use the Apple menu to shut down/restart and have to power the machine off and then on. Typically it will take a few such forced restarts to "clear" the problem but after a while it reappears. Does anyone have any ideas?

I read your post. I also have a wireless logitech mouse. I will try and disconnect the mouse, but I don't think thats where my problem lies. I still cant startup from a CD.

Back