stupid Unix Users stuff...

Nummi

happy (again)
Here we go: There are three people in my house that use the G4. My dad, my sister, and me. We all have our own user accounts. my sister was an admin, my dad was an admin, and I was an admin. I did not trust my sister(she likes to mess with my stuff). So i set the prefs so that she could not admin the computer. But all she needed to do was login as my dad, and then change the options. Is there any way I can protect my stuff? She can even change my password! What a load of crap. Is there some terminal voodoo that I can do to keep her out of my user account?

Does your dad need to be an admin too? If he needs to, tell him to change his password to something not easy to guess and don't share it.

that is the problem... he will always share his password with my sister. Right now, I am the only Admin... but he might want to be an admin again.

do you know how she messes with your ish?

if she uses the 'sudo' command to execute commands as root or some other user, you can just remove her ability to do so with the sudoers file...

another really sneaky thing would be to create a shell script named 'sudo' in a path that was checked before the path that sudo actually lives in. The script could check to see if its your sister's username executing the command and ignore anything she gives it, or it could ignore commands like changing your password, and pass everything else on.

All of this stuff requires some rudimentary understanding of how to program, but nothing too in depth. I mean- I'm a friggin' design student and I'd just need a few hours with the man command to figure it out.

my sister does not use the terminal :) she is only 12. But, I want my Dad to be an admin, without my sister screwing wit me sheet. Is there some way I can keep my sister (or dad) from changing my password?

You can type in 'chmod 700 /users/username' and that will shut off your directory unless your sister uses sudo or gets root control. If you do this and you have websharing on, nobody will be able to view your website. You can mess around with chmod though to fix that.

Justin

All admins have the same abilities on a system :p
you can mod the permissions on your folder so that only you can rwx them and not one else, but then again, just be the only admin and get done with it :p -- your dad loves your sister as much as he loves you so he wont show preference, his passoword is easy to get --

Be the king of you domain--eeerr -- I mean your mac :p -- be the only admin :)

Admiral

You could use PuzzlePalace. There's more utils like that, I'm sure. See Versiontracker. Perhaps it's a good idea to start using pgp or gnupg.
Another way would be an encrypted disk image. You can do this with Disk Copy.

Back