SU term prob

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
I just remembered something :p
Last week when I was in the terminal I tried SUing and it asked for my password, normal. I type my password but it did not accept it.
I made sure caps or other keyboards were not interferin and my passowrd was still not accepted.

any ideas ?

Admiral

Are you sudo-ing or su-ing? Remeber that the root account is disabled by default, and you have to enable it and set a password with Netinfo Manager (under File->Security). Unless you've enabled this, su won't work, although you can execute commands as root by using 'sudo' and then your command. This will prompt you for a password, and you should use your own user password, not the root password.

The 'su' command requires the password of the root account (which must be enabled), not your password. The command 'sudo -s' does almost exactly the same thing as 'su' except it asks for *your* password, and doesn't require you to enable the root account.

hmmm.... I wasnt sudo-ing.
as a matter of fact I dont even know why I used su :p -- ever since 10.0 I was using sudo (in PB I was using su) -- well I am gonna go home tonite and fix my NetInfo :)

Back