SuperDrive on PowerMac 9500/9600

cabbage

Registered
I have a SuperDrivesthat I got with a Dual Processor G4. I want to burn DVD's but I can't afford to wait 3 hours for them to finish burning. I have 4 old PowerMac 9500/9600's sitting here collection dust that I was thinking about using as a DVD Burning Kiosk. Does anyone know if the SuperDrive will run on them??>

It should, as long as you can run the required software (both OS and DVD authoring) but you'll have to either add 1.) an IDE controller (95/9600's only ran SCSI drives without additional hardware boards) or 2.) a Firewire port PCI board & then mount the SuperDrive into a Firewire 3-1/2" drive external housing. The least expensive would be the controller alone - in either case your additional hardware would work with any of the later G4's as well.

I propbaly won't work. Apple's DVD authoring software requires a G4 to run because it use the altivec engine to do the compression and translation.

I'm not gonna be running Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro, iMovie or iDVD. Instead of burning stuff to CD-R...anything that is over 700mb is going to be burned to DVD-R. The only app I will be using Roxio Toast 5.2 to burn the DVDs.

I also just installed a SuperDrive on an older G4. I can only get it to burn at 1X in 9.2.2. On my newer G4 in 10.2.2 I can burn at 2X. What would be the reason for that?

2.) a Firewire port PCI board & then mount the SuperDrive into a Firewire 3-1/2" drive external housing

I tried this out and it didn't work on a G4 :-(

I had an old Lacie or Teac external FireWire 12x CD-Recorder that I took apart. Hard Drives mount fine but it won't mount the SuperDrive in OS9 or Jaguar. Now I have to find someone with a spare IDE card that I can borrow to test out #1

Back