Swap in separate partition in Jaguar?

metiure

Registered
Hi
In X.1, we all knew the trick of moving the swap file to another disk or partition to increase launching apps. in my case by 25%.

Now i'm on Jaguar and i'm not sure the trick is still neded, or even possible.

Thanks for answers

Vic.:cool:

Yep. All foreseeable versions of OSX will benefit from a dedicated swap partition, since the Virtual memory system has the read/write access and file system of that drive/partition all to itself. It's faster with a actual drive than a partition, but I still get about a 10% boost on another partition.

Swapcop is a easy tool for relocating the swapfile system.

after updating to 10.2 (and 10.2.1) from 10.1.5 i noticed my swap volume was my startup disk (as it is in a normal case) but i don't like that.
i rewrote rc + fstab (with informations from df) so my faster scsi disk contained the swap file(s).
this doesn't seem to work with 10.2(.1), i did it again (rewrote /etc/fstab + /etc/rc) and after a reboot the machine stopped at the gray apple logo with that spinning circle thing and a prompt (like you would end up in super-user mode).
i changed rc + fstab back to normal (on my updated 10.2.1 fstab wasn't there before making any changes) and the system booted normal again.
behind the curtain (using boot -v (verbose startup)) i get a bus error 35 followed by a bus error 37 when starting the vm system...

i tried it manually cuz swapcop didn't do anything...any ideas?

Back