Technical Query about X Server

WhateverJoe

echo $row['what_tha'];
After adding in some OS X workstations with-in our mostly "Windows" network... there have been serveral issues that are causing headaches....

When an X user opens or creates a new file on the network shares... a duplicate file is created with a "." in front of it... to the Mac user... this never shows up in finder because X knows that those are hidden files... but to the rest of the folks using Windows... there are now two files for every one a Mac user touches and some are getting confused / just don't know.. and try opeining the file with the period in front of the file name... and screem the file is messed up....

Any`who.... this and some other issues are causing me to look for a different file serving solution... that can hide the .whatever.doc files from the windows users...

My question "coming from Windows NT/2000 file - sharing and permisions " train of thought..... Is the method similar enough in OS X Server ... as in users and groups behave more like "Unix" or active directory ?...

I ask because... I have experimented with an SMB service off of a linux box... with hair pulling sessions in trying to set up several directories with different permisions where "Users/Groups" assigned to that directory could "ALL" create,edit and delete the same file... I ran into only the owners being able to delete and for some odd reasons only the owner being able to write at times... I couldn't set up the same type of permisions path as I have on an NT share...

I greatly apperciate any advice or knowldge about this subject !

Thanks

Back