"Temporary Items"

Jasoco

Video Gamer/Collector
What exactly are these "Temporary Items" folders for? They show up all the time and if I delete them, they come back.

If they're OS X's, why can't the OS make them a ".temp" folder so they don't show up! If it's some app, what is doing it?

They show up on all HD's. I have 4 partitions. One is for my Website backup. It's awkward having a folder out of place there. And my other partitions, it's just.. dumb. What is this? Windows?

Make them hidden! Like ".trash"..

Where are you getting these folders, because I do not see them on my system.

Maybe you have an app creating them?

Good Luck.
SA

I keep getting them quite frequently too... I'm not sure what they are. I do know that they are created by the OS though.

Originally posted by Javintosh
I get the damned folder too. It is at the root of the HD containing the OS.
My partition with the OS on it is the only place I don't get one. It's on my other 2 HD partitions, shown as owned by my_user_name:staff, with rwxrwxrwx permissions. Same owner on my FireWire external drive, but the permissions there are rwxr-xr-x.
Very strange... :confused:

How is the OS creating a "Temporary Items" folder and where. I've searched my hard drive and have yet to find one. I've looked at all of my hidden folders also, and I still do not see any. Are you all running a developer leaked version? Because I'm not getting any. I still have to say it is some kind of software and not necessarily OS related.

More info please.
SA

:)

I suspect that these Temporary Items folder are being created by some 3rd-party software, rather than by the system. Perhaps by LimeWire or something similar? Just a guess on my part.

I agree with genghiscohen and buc99, it's probably another app (in classic perhaps) that creates the "Temporary Items" folders , the system puts all such stuff in /tmp , wich you can't see in the finder i think, only in Terminal.

They're named "Temporary Items" and they get created at the root of all writable partitions.

I deleted them. All four of them. And now they came back.

I haven't ran Classic in days and I even deleted OS 9 today so THAT'S not it.

This is NOT a Developer version of OS X. I have 56k. And no local warez friends.

LimeWire hasn't run on this machine in days either. Which brings up another annoyance. Why the F does LW STILL put "Incomplete" and "Shared" folders in my Home directory even when I set it to place them in my Documents folder? WTFIUWT?

They just came back at 12:14. The only thing I was doing was installing Maya Personal Edition. But it's the first time I ever did that.

But I am thinking, and this is a theory, maybe certain installers make the folders. Maya uses Vise. I will do tests later.

It's so freaking annoying! UGH! I want to know the culprit and hunt them down like a Dog and give the programmers a piece of my mind.

Jasoco, have you installed anything on those other partitions? I have them too, and I seem to recollect that some installers generated with InstallerVice make them as temp storage for moved items not yet ready to be trashed.

Originally posted by DMCrimson
I seem to recollect that some installers generated with InstallerVice make them as temp storage for moved items not yet ready to be trashed.

BINGO!! I never thought of that before. That is when mine showed up. Thanks! :D

No, three of the partitions only contain data files.

One contains installers and DMG's and SIT's.

One contains miscellaneous crap.

One contains a mirror of www.jasoco.com

I never run ANYTHING from those partitions.

yup, but those InstallerVice installers are in a habit of checking every partition you have for possible outdated components...I know this explanation sounds not so quite realistic, but I know thay do...I had mine appear since installing Maple 7 via Classic...usuallu those folders get deleted on restart or the next restart after that in OS 9, but somehow this is ignored in OS X...
In 9 they appeared after the first restart in trash inside folder called "rescued items from partitionname"...

Originally posted by DMCrimson
In 9 they appeared after the first restart in trash inside folder called "rescued items from partitionname"...

So that's where those damn things came from.

Back