Thanks Apple !

lilbandit

I hate Meath
Probably no use to most people in here except Irish education customers but I just wanted to say well done Apple for providing an Irish language option for Jaguar. It means that school computers can run "As gaeilge" It's a minority language in Ireland now ( a crying shame) but it's great to see support from Apple. Combined with Google (also offer Irish lang support) it means that children can use a computer through Irish!

And where's my Greek localization? Grrrr!

Oh well. At least the Irish can be happy. heheh. Cheers.

Greek people are urged to upgrade their mother language to English. Just kidding, though. Sorry. ;-)

That would be a VERY nice solution! ;)

Still, Fryke you would not believe how messy the greek localization is here in Greece! :mad:

The Apple parent company here in Greece (Rainbow Computers) is charging for THEIR CRAP (but still better than the built-in OS X 10.2 greek localization) in each Mac sold here in Greece an additional 300-600 euros depending on the Mac model sold! In some cases even more! :mad:

Let's just hope that Apple US will get this messy situation and fix it one day that it isn't too far away down the road :( Damn you Apple! If M$ did it in 1995 why can't you in 2003? :mad:

adambyte and hulkaros - I am also Greek, though a "bad" American greek whose father did not want us to speak Greek and be more "American." My mother had other ideas (they are divorced), but is always asking me about better Greek options for her Mac. I'll be sure to keep a look out here for any new information. My mom is not very computer savvy, but what would you suggest is her best option here?

Dear karavite, Rainbow Computers (Apple here in Greece) offers international customers the greek localization in some cases even for free! Although not a full localization it is still better than the one that Jaguar has built-in for us greek people... Anyway, if you like I can PM you the email, telephone numbers, etc. of Rainbow Computers in order for you to contact them and maybe, just maybe, you will get the greek localization for free ;)

Give it a shot! :D

I would also like a Russian localised OS here in Moscow, and occasionally, the local Mac division puts one out. I would expect a wait before seeing 10.3 here. The thingis, one has to consider the economics of translating the whole GUI etc., when most Mac software is wares. I can get any of the latest software for Mac (or anything) for $5-15 at one of the big pirate markets here, and I'm sure this is the case in other places. It's just very difficult to get the resources together to do such a project when you know that few will pay for it. Russia is one thing, but think of a small country like Greece and its even smaller Mac user base. Who is going to pay? Maybe MS can do it as there are enough legal outfits, but how, in these circumstances can Mac be expected to square up?

PER

Originally posted by PER3
I would also like a Russian localised OS here in Moscow, and occasionally, the local Mac division puts one out. I would expect a wait before seeing 10.3 here. The thingis, one has to consider the economics of translating the whole GUI etc., when most Mac software is wares. I can get any of the latest software for Mac (or anything) for $5-15 at one of the big pirate markets here, and I'm sure this is the case in other places. It's just very difficult to get the resources together to do such a project when you know that few will pay for it. Russia is one thing, but think of a small country like Greece and its even smaller Mac user base. Who is going to pay? Maybe MS can do it as there are enough legal outfits, but how, in these circumstances can Mac be expected to square up?

PER

But the Apple company here is squaring just fine... I repeat from my previous post:
"The Apple parent company here in Greece (Rainbow Computers) is charging for THEIR CRAP (but still better than the built-in OS X 10.2 greek localization) in each Mac sold here in Greece an additional 300-600 euros depending on the Mac model sold! In some cases even more! :mad: "

And the real problem is that you would not believe how messy the greek localization is here in Greece! If we have to pay THAT much for greek localization at least it would be better if it was MUCH better! To give you a hint or two: You cannot see anything in the printer window in greek localization!!! Or you cannot use MANY apps that use AppleScript!!! And many, too many problems to list them here!!! :mad:

Back