The Register: Renewed x86 Rumors

Ripcord

Senior Lurker
I know I'll be flamed for starting another OS X on x86 thread, but The Register has posted an article with an interesting comment by an AMD senior VP at the Opteron launch.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/39/30372.html

It doesn't point directly to Apple moving Macs to x86, but implies that Apple and AMD HAVE been in talks about something relating to their new 64-bit processors (which I can't imagine is, say, the processor that they'll be installing in next-gen iPods, for example).

Rip

Originally posted by Ripcord
It doesn't point directly to Apple moving Macs to x86, but implies that Apple and AMD HAVE been in talks about something relating to their new 64-bit processors (which I can't imagine is, say, the processor that they'll be installing in next-gen iPods, for example).

Rip

Then again with some of the speculation regarding the new iPods, wouldn't surprise me if some people made that connection ;) Don't forget, that for a while the "most powerful computer" that Apple sold was their LaserWriter printer.

who knows? Maybe they'll be using both AMD processors and the PPC970 but for different products?!

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
Already been referenced in the IBM CPU thread....

Which one? The article I referenced was just posted today. The only post I've seen in a PPC thread today is the "What about IBM?" thread that I've been trying to get killed for redundancy, but it's refused to die...

[edit]Nevermind, I see it in the "What about IBM" thread. You mentioned that the Register had said something about it.:rolleyes:

Rip

The most likely explanation for the AMD wink and nod there re: Apple is:-> Hypertransport. Apple is in a big fat hurry to get 970's into machines ASAP along with an architecture that supports it properly. Hypertransport is that architecture, and Apple and AMD are probobly working furiously to get a stable, mature, and effective Bus mate for the 970, while AMD gets some of Apple's efforts in this area to use as well.

shhh's probably right, but then again this could have taken place long before now, and maybe now we're seeing a pulse of further cooperation?

I still think/feel that an x86 OS X would be cool, but Im perfectly fine with the PPC too. One things for certain tho, Im definantly looking forward to seeing what Apple will bring us:D

Back