The Windows Forum

Androo

Yeah, Androo.
Ladies and gentlemen, i just got windows xp from a friend, so i will be testing it out, taking snapshots, and telling you about it here. Its just installing right now ;).

I will say the pros and cons which i notice about windows. But keep this in mind: MAC IS ALWAYS BETTER! no matter what i mention thats good, there will be something even better on mac. Like this. FACT: there are more games and programs for windows than on mac.
FACT: the games and programs that actually matter are for mac!

this is just calling for a trashing, so please please keep this civil and level headed guys

I've used XP before...*shudder* But by being a mac bigot ("But keep this in mind: MAC IS ALWAYS BETTER! no matter what i mention thats good, there will be something even better on mac"), all you're doing is showing your ignorance. I LOVE apple. But there are some things that Microsoft is good at, as much as I hate them. Not everything they do is the work of the devil. OS X is by FAR the superior OS, but let's be fair. Why do an "objective study" at both OS's if you already know you're just gonna declare the mac better?

Originally posted by Androo
Ladies and gentlemen, i just got windows xp from a friend, so i will be testing it out, taking snapshots, and telling you about it here.
Why bother? Many of us already use or have used XP. Either we know how it works already, or probably most of us don't care or want to know.
FACT: there are more games and programs for windows than on mac.
FACT: the games and programs that actually matter are for mac!
So, you're saying that games like Battlefield: 1942 and Counterstrike just don't even matter, when both have thousands of users online at any given moment? How do you know that the special software a certain company needs doesn't matter, if it only runs for Windows?

I mean, I can see where you may like Mac better than Windows (which means why the hell are you installing it?), but saying that only the software on Mac matters, while possibly true in some areas, is generalizing and cuts out a great deal of users.

XP? :confused:

I'll be getting Redhat 9 (mostly for servers, but will install it on my PC to use Windows even less), want screenshots and my review on it? I think people would be more instrested in that than XP. :p :confused:

But don't listen to me... I'm just jaded from a lifetime of Windows (ab)use (Windows since 3.11, Mac since OS9). :p

I'm very happy 'n confy in my new home (OS X with Unix intermixed! Yay!)
Uh... I say that as I type this using a Windows PC! ACK!!! (Mac is at my office).
Need PowerBook BAD! :p :)

Well yea, Redhat ... I touched ONCE a pc this year - only to format it (it had Windows) and to install Redhat to it ... "Linux is only for geeks" is hilarious - my uncle is 60 and he thinks Linux is so much easier to use than Windows! So if people keep telling Linux sers are geeks, i have to tell him he's a geek (i think he'll take it as a complement!)

I have a question about Windows, in all seriousness.
How do I keep the glass from spotting up? Am I using too much soap, is the water too hard? I've tried everything. Sponges, loofahs, newspaper and nothing seems to work as well as I'd like. I'm always finding a smudge or a streak or, heaven forbid, a faint residue that could have been a fingerprint.
I guess I'm just looking for some clear Windows without too much fuss. Thanks. ::angel::

Windows users just have to put up with spots, smudges and streaks. There's no other way around it, the window to the world is on your mac!

OK BOYS AND GIRLS!
I already have some problems.

Problem 1:
Installing> I cant seem to install overtop of windows 98. something is forcing me to have problems.

Mac Side:
Notice how easy it was to upgrade from os9 to X? you insert the cd, follow the 6 simple steps, and wait for about 20-30 minutes.

Problem 2:
Storage> It is hard to find things. A drive, C drive, D drive, L drive, M drive, AHHHH TOO MANY DRIVES!

The Mac side:
If you insert a disc into your mac, it shows up on the desktop. Also, you have a hard drive, called Macintosh HD (or whatever u named it!)

that's all for the day!

Problem 3:
"Blue Screen of Death"> it says some crazy crazy thing, and says press space to continue. But that never does the job. You have to restart.

Problem 4:
Installing> i find it soo confusing (this is windows 98 i am talking about right now), soooo confusing to install things. You have you .exe inside of the .zip. Then there's the installing inside it. And kazaa still wont work!

Problem 5:
Explanations> When something quits or wont load up, it doesnt say anything except "Solitaire used an illegal operation, number 5598". What this is illegal!? going to arrest solitaire now? Going to lock it up in the "recycling bin"?
Mac invented the whole trash thing, windows then used recycling bin. That means that it isn't taken off your system.... it is just reused!

I'm not saying that windows is a bad system, i am just saying there are a few problems. I am just giving my report - A mac user in the pc world!

Androo, just say no. You'll be much happier. Wait till you get prompts asking if you want to force quit, or if you're happy to wait even longer because the #$^#(#@ system locked up on you. You'll learn cntr/alt/delte better than typing your own name.
And does XP have Zippy, or was that finally mothballed?
Oh, and wait till you try and find something.

Good God, the misery! The horror, horror I tell you, of trying to use a Windows computer, and attempting to find even the most innocuous of files!

Also, is it just me, or is Microsoft trying too hard with Luna? I use XP very occasionally, mostly just at Nexus (where I'm busy playing a game anyway) or my friend's house, and Luna just looks like someone took a bunch of pastels and drew on the previous version of Windows. It's no different! Okay, it's a little different, some stuff moves around and all, but the little interface bits like scrollbars and such are totally boring.

I get to use XP at work, IE crashes when it tries to open links in a new window on the college website, which is pretty* poor, even IE on X does that.

And when I say pretty i mean f**king poor, it's just a plain link in a new window, no javascript, no flash nothing other than html and it keeps crashing, lucky mozilla's installed.

Wow! That's some bad hidden CGI, or something.

And Androo: Good for you! Don't know why you ever wanted to switch in the first place.

Back