TiBook 667 Boot Time Question

ZeroAltitude

Registered
Hi all,

I have a question regarding boot times. I don't know whether I'm paranoid in the sense that I am finding ghosts where there are none, so let me ask you these questions:

Datum: I *thought* that when I first got my TiBook, that when I hit the power on switch, it would basically immediately light the screen and show the smiley apple face

1) How long does it take you TiBook 667 users to get to the happy screen, from the time you hit the power on button?

2) Has this changed from when you first got your TiBook?

3) does Mac hardware have anything comparable to the PC 'BIOS' that can be setup in any way on a Mac, which could get screwed up and make boot times slower?

4) if so to 3, how can it be fixed?

Thanks!

-ZeroAltitude

I have an iBook 500, from the time I hit the power button to the time I see the smiley apple face is about 10 seconds. That's a rough guess, but you shouldn't be waiting like 'minutes' for your TiBook to boot. Especially if you're using OS X.

As far as I know, there isn't a 'BIOS' for Macs. At least not one that normal end-users should be able to access and tweak.

If your Mac is taking an extra long time to boot, you may want to disconnect any USB and/or FireWire devices, eject the CD in your drive if one is in there, and make sure you actually shut the OS down instead of forcing the power off. If none of those are the problem I'd suggest using your Apple Hardware Test CD to check the ram, harddrive, etc.

Hope something in there helps.

Macs do have a BIOS, but Apple calls it firmware instead. Basically the only difference is that you can't change settings in it with the Mac, while you can on PCs.

Maybe Apple has added new stuff to the latest firmware for the TiBook that makes it a bit longer to start up. I used to have a 233 G3 Powerbook and it took it about 5 or more seconds to see the happy mac screen after pressing the power button.

you can edit the openfirmware settings as well as adding new variables to it. check out the man page for nvram. you can also access the firmware by holding the option, apple, o, and f keys at the same time during boot. also, if you hold the apple and v keys during startup, you'll get visual mode and you can see everthing the computer is doing during boot, which might give you a better idea of exactly what part is taking so long. :)

Back