TiBook 667 Boot Time Question

ZeroAltitude

Registered
Hi all,

I have a question regarding boot times. I don't know whether I'm paranoid in the sense that I am finding ghosts where there are none, so let me ask you these questions:

Datum: I *thought* that when I first got my TiBook, that when I hit the power on switch, it would basically immediately light the screen and show the smiley apple face

1) How long does it take you TiBook 667 users to get to the happy screen, from the time you hit the power on button?

2) Has this changed from when you first got your TiBook?

3) does Mac hardware have anything comparable to the PC 'BIOS' that can be setup in any way on a Mac, which could get screwed up and make boot times slower?

4) if so to 3, how can it be fixed?

Thanks!

-ZeroAltitude

To resolve this problem you would need startup from your system CD MacOS 9 not X. Goto the Startup Disk Control Panel and select the CD as the boot device and then change it back to the HD.

Now reboot and you should get a happy mac almost instantly.

Hi,

Hmm, I tried this, but now I'm thinking I was not clear.

Okay. Here is what happens right after I hit the power on button:

1) I hear a swish sound and a nice Macintosh Chord
2) There is a tiny disk chatter
*3) There is an 8 second pause
4) the screen goes gray and almost immediately comes a happy mac

It's step 3 that feels wrong -- was this always the case? Is it new? Did I change a 'fast BIOS POST' setting by accident? Is there an interactive BIOS on this machine? Am I delusional? :)

-ZeroAltitude

Try zapping the PRAM by holding Command (Apple)-Option-P-R. And us Mac users have no BIOS and their is no "fast BIOS POST" option and thefirmware has NO setup program as all settings are made by software.

Back