Tiger Internet Sharing won't issue an IP address

stottm

Registered
Found a problem with Tiger not working with Internet Sharing to either a PowerBook nor a Dell laptop. It was a brand new PowerMac G5 with dual ethernet. The PowerMac G5 obtained an IP address from the Internet provider and would set it's Internet shared ethernet port address to 192.168.2.1 the problem was the laptops did not receive an IP address and kept failing over to the automatic IP address 169.x.x.x.

Turns out that Tiger introduced a GUI firewall feature under the Advanced button on the firewall and in my zeal to secure the PowerMac G5 I turned on Stealth Mode and Block UDP packets. Internet Sharing only worked once I turned these two options off. Then instantly, everything worked as it should.

It may be possible to configure the firewall and NAT features outside of the GUI using the Terminal.app and some Unix black magic in the configuration files so that the stealth mode and UDP blocking only occurs on the external ethernet interface and not the internal one. Seems the GUI applies these settings to both. I suspect the problem really rests on Stealth mode as dhcpd won't be seen and won't respond.

I unfortunately didn't have time to fully test this out to see exactly what was going on and I hope this information is useful to someone. I will be cross posting this to MacOSXHints.com as well.

Back