Tiger on DVD; Apple misleads; delay upgrade

Oldedit

Registered
Well, after reading three message boards and three how to install articles, I've decided to delay installing Tiger.

I'm also going to order CDs for installing it on older machines, especially my G3 400 Mhz. iMacs.

And I'm going to return my three $129 upgrades. I'll keep the family pack only because I've opened it and damaged some of the packaging.

I know that Apple's online promo said 10.4 comes as a DVD and that you have to pay another $15 or so with shipping for CDs. But I had read enough about Tiger that I didn't read the section of Apple's promo that said I needed CDs. You really have to search the promo page to see that older computers need the CDs. I just ordered. And the shopping cart did not offer the CDs. So Apple basically tried to downplay it's gambit to screw owners of its older machines. It wants us to buy new ones.

This is in keeping with the Al Gore and California approach to life, which is pretty high on the U.S. cheat them scale. Al Gore lied his way to defeat in 2000 and won a place on Jobs' board of directors. Tells you something about the culture at Apple, which is trying to put blogs and the press out of business with it's pernicious, anti-First Amendment suit against Think Secret.com.

I was thinking about buying the Tiger X-serve and a Tiger Powerbook. Now all I want to do is punish Apple as much as I can. The only way I can punish it for its deceptive practices and unAmerican secrecy to buy as few of its products as possible. So I'll shell out another $10-$15 for the CDs and go from there. I also discovered on La Cie's pdf manual that its DVD external drive requires the minimum of a 700 Mhz G4, which means I can't use it with my G3 iMacs and have to order the CDs.

Talk about turning what I anticipated would be a fun upgrade to Tiger in to a downer of an experience. Apple has descended into XP land, again.

I know that Apple's online promo said 10.4 comes as a DVD and that you have to pay another $15 or so with shipping for CDs. But I had read enough about Tiger that I didn't read the section of Apple's promo that said I needed CDs.

If you read that, you would have known you needed CD's if your machines didn't have a DVD drive. Nothing misleading about that.

Wow, someone sounds quite bitter. I'll also do my homework, which sounds like a move you had started but evidently didn't completely follow-through with.

I do sympathize with you as I own a fairly older Mac, myself, that has no DVD drive. No reason for you to "punish" Apple for your own lack of investigation. Sure, they could have called on your home phone and said "Kind sir, we are aware you about to purchase the Tiger Upgrade. Stop! It will not work on your computer. We have dispatched a courier with the correct CD-Installer package and he should be arriving at your home shortly. Thankyou for using our computers, we owe you." But instead, they did what most corporations do and release their products selling you on the high points and expecting you, the consumer, to do your part by reading the fine print.

Apple are just another microsoft, out to make as much money as possible, who cares if they are losing their core user base, there will be plenty more punters along soon.

I'll never buy anothr mac and that is after spending a small fortune on them over the years. Luckily i have managed to get myself out of the position of having to depend on computers.

Steve Jobs aka Job's Worth.

So, in other words, you're pissed at Apple because you didn't properly read?

You know what I think I'm going to be pissed at Apple to. I bought this "Tiger" thing and all it was is a stupid DVD in a box! I wanted a little pet Tiger cub. How dare Apple sell something named "Tiger" and expect people to assume that it's not a cute little tiger cub.

Seriously, how much hand holding do you need? Did you actually try your LaCie dvd drive on your G3? For the most part they list as needing a faster processor because slower boxes can't play DVD movies but they can still read data off them. Why don't you plug it in and give it a try? And if Apple was trying to be a Microsoft they wouldn't offer a $9.99 exchange for the DVD to CD, they would just make you buy a DVD drive.

Brian

All the information is there on Apple's website. It's up to the consumer to read it. Don't just buy stuff without knowing all about it.

Oh Salesman! I bought this $3,000,000 Ferrari Limousine. But I can't afford the petrol or insurance now, and it won't fit in my driveway.

"oh certainly sir. let me just take that back for you. we'll put it into stock, and someone will buy it.."

sheesh.

I'll never buy anothr mac and that is after spending a small fortune on them over the years. Luckily i have managed to get myself out of the position of having to depend on computers.

so you've gone out of your way to change your lifestyle/life/etc not to include computers at all because apple wanted $10 for a CD set?

I've bought 100 to 150 Macs since 1986, and I follow the web sites and do my research on the product. I subscribe to .Mac and read their promos. I skipped one web page where the CD/DVD info was hidden in a little box way down in the third column, and I didn't do my research? With millions of older Macs being used, there should have been a section of the order form that gave users a choice of media and allowed those of us with older machines to ask for CDs at no additional charge.

I'm one of the few customers complaining, but for every 1 who complains, there are hundreds who just go away when they feel a supplier has screwed them. Big problem for Apple unless they change their policy Monday.

This obviously was a marketing ploy by Apple, a dishonest one.

I will try to use the DVD drive because a respondent said it should handle the data. We'll see.

Your very last sentence sounds like you _do_ have a DVD drive. Where's the problem, exactly? Oh, I see. The LaCie manual. The drive really should work fine. There are other solutions like target-mode installations. Your first post to this board was just... Let's say, a little too negative after we've been discussing this very thing on here over and over again and then you also made strange political remarks that didn't help either. At least on my end of the 'net they didn't.

Oldedit said:
This is in keeping with the Al Gore and California approach to life, which is pretty high on the U.S. cheat them scale. Al Gore lied his way to defeat in 2000 and won a place on Jobs' board of directors. Tells you something about the culture at Apple, which is trying to put blogs and the press out of business with it's pernicious, anti-First Amendment suit against Think Secret.com.
LOL, is this a plea for tech support or a political diatribe? Go cry to Rush, or start reading the fine print.

Scottfab said:
LOL, is this a plea for tech support or a political diatribe? Go cry to Rush, or start reading the fine print.

I've gotten answers to some tech questions here and elsewhere, and I appreciate the responses.

As a business person and consumer, I believe that I shouldn't have to read the fine print to find out that I need to spend another $10 to $15, includng shipping, for CDs.

My comments about Gore and Jobs are a simple analogy. The point I'm making is that Jobs put Gore on his board, which tells me how little integrity means to Apple, which is the subject of this thread. As a marketing analyst, I'm betting that I'm not the only one who's upset with the DVD scam, and I'm predicting that it will give Jobs another well-deserved black eye.

I think my post on Friday preceded a lot of the negative threads that have been posted since, and I'm sorry that a negative post spoils the fun, but I also believe that message boards are where people can alert each other to problems and vent a little.

No offense intended to the moderator.

That's what I mean, you see: You don't have to alert each other, since we've been discussing the DVD issue for a long time. And if people don't _read_ before posting, then alerting others doesn't work, anyway. ;)

In a sense, I agree with OldEdit... They should give you an option when buying Tiger which clearly says "Check which media you would like: CDs, DVD." It wouldn't be that hard to do, and would save a few people pain.

Remember, folks: Not everyone is a complete nerd who wonders about the media format he or she is buying. They're just thinking, "Dang, now I gotta buy that. I want weather thingies on my desktop."

The point I'm making is that Jobs put Gore on his board, which tells me how little integrity means to Apple, which is the subject of this thread.

:( What's wrong with Al Gore?

If you have loads of Macs, or even 2 with FireWire, *one of which has a DVD drive* then you don't need the CD's. Even an old iMac G3, with FW, will install just fine from DVD.

1/ Startup your old machine holding down the 'T' key. This will put it into 'Target Disk Mode'.
2/ Plug a FW cable into it and the other end into your Mac which has a DVD drive. This will mount your old Mac onto the Desktop of your DVD Mac, as a HD. Just like any other external HD.
3/ Insert the DVD into your Mac with the DVD drive
4/ The Tiger installer will start up and ask you to restart your Mac.
5/ Once it has restarted and the Installer has opened up, choose your old Mac as the install destination.

Pretty simple huh? Apple do good things you know. It's just that there's so many of them, it takes years to learn them all. :)

Grant

Who buys software without checking for that legendary "System Requirements" blurb? It exists on all software packages, and is clearly defined on the actual Tiger order page.

I agree. Someone was asking me about where to get the CD-ROM version of Tiger. I did manage to find the info in about 10 minutes scouring around the Apple site (recalled accidently sumbling across the info a couple days back).

I think the information should have been more easily accessable.

The visitor to the Apple site has to click on the Apple Store, Click on Tiger and then in the bottom right of the page there is a text link that reads "Order Information"

Must be Jobs' idea of a web easter egg.

I come very close to ordering Tiger and very glad I didn't at this time. Coming from a PC background since 86', it is a given that any OS distro, upgrade or otherwise is going to have problems. The plus side, however, is that Apple listens to the feedback of the end-user and provides patches in a more timely manner.

Grant Symon said:
If you have loads of Macs, or even 2 with FireWire, *one of which has a DVD drive* then you don't need the CD's. Even an old iMac G3, with FW, will install just fine from DVD.
Well, that assumes he's got one. If I didnt have an internal DVD, I'd be sunk too.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
Who buys software without checking for that legendary "System Requirements" blurb? It exists on all software packages, and is clearly defined on the actual Tiger order page.
that is a valid point.

ngcomputing said:
The visitor to the Apple site has to click on the Apple Store, Click on Tiger and then in the bottom right of the page there is a text link that reads "Order Information"
yes, that is a hassle, and I agree apple shouldve made it easier. but people shouldnt have accidently bought the wrong version if they read the system requirements.

fryke said:
That's what I mean, you see: You don't have to alert each other, since we've been discussing the DVD issue for a long time. And if people don't _read_ before posting, then alerting others doesn't work, anyway. ;)
Most typical non-power users only come to a forum when there's a problem.

adambyte said:
:( What's wrong with Al Gore?
Apparently, he's a democrat, and to some people, that makes him Satan.

Scottfab said:
yes, that is a hassle, and I agree apple shouldve made it easier. but people shouldnt have accidently bought the wrong version if they read the system requirements.

This is always a good thing. I remember getting into a debate where I stated that the WWDC requirements were going to be final (with possibly the exception of the DVD, but I doubted it)... I am glad I purchased a Combo drive for my Pismo. ;)

Scottfab said:
Apparently, he's a democrat, and to some people, that makes him Satan.

Not that he is a democrat, but I definitely think there has been some massive smear to his image by those who didn't want him to get the presidency. While I will agree that bringing Al Gore onto the board is a little unusual, I would hardly call it a sign of 'lack of virtues' as the poster who brought it up claims, and really has no place when discussing business issues. Politics and whose propoganda you follow doesn't really belong, and makes me wonder if the person who made the claim was starting to troll without realizing it.

I spent an hour or so at the Apple store and saw the Tiger demo. The audience consisted of four or five gray hairs like me, long-time Mac users. I got to ask my questions, many of which came from reading this and other boards.

Although I've been using Macs since '86, I've never tried to be a power user. I use Macs in my biz and personal life, and I generally have time to learn just enough to get by.

So I ran out an bought a dvd drive. Then it appeared I couldn't use it to do the upgrade on my 400 Mz G3 iMac. Not true, I understand. So I can use it for that, and I feel better. But I see the problems people are having with Tiger, and I don't have time to deal with those problems, so I'll wait for 10.4.1 on all my computers but my home G3, which is expendable and will be upgraded when I get time.

Apple made a big mistake in not offering the CD option on its shopping cart check out page, and I hope that mistake is corrected Monday.

Please, definitely. No more mixing in of political propaganda in here. That has to stop now.

Back