Time Capsule question!

alra111

Registered
We just installed our new Time Capsule!

I have a question about it. When I check its format via Get Info, it states "AppleShare."

When I check the format of my existing Western Digital MyBook, it states "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)."

Should I worry about reformatting the Time Capsule to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)?" Or is AppleShare the way it is supposed to be? I want to ensure I have the most efficient file system set up on it.

Thanks,
Alra111

My Time Capsule says AppleShare also and I have no problem with it with my G5 and Mac Book Pro just fine. The only thing is when doing the first Time Machine backup while connected via Ethernet first. The large backup goes faster while wired. Once it was done I just went to the Airport method and Time Machine never blinked.

By the way, did you get the N upgrade with Time Capsule?

Yep, looks like I did get the N upgrade because my speed is 130, based on another question I had posted here.

I should have done the Ethernet first, but it did not occur to me...

I am doing it wirelessly and it is in fact taking hours.

Thanks,
Alra111

Yep, looks like I did get the N upgrade because my speed is 130, based on another question I had posted here.

I should have done the Ethernet first, but it did not occur to me...

I am doing it wirelessly and it is in fact taking hours.

Thanks,
Alra111

Get an Ethernet cable and plug it up to the time Capsule now. Then turn off Airport (in the Mac) after you get an IP from the Ethernet connection. Then let Time Mac startup again. After the first LARGE backups is done just go back to the wireless connection. This will go a lot faster with that first huge backup.

The reason is shows up as AppleShare is because the AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) is what's used to mount your Time Capsule drive to your compute rover a NETWORK.

To look into the format of the drive, you'd need to open your Airport Utility, connect to your Time Capsule with AU, then check the "hard drives" section to see how it's formatted. And yes, you should have it formatted as "Mac OS Extended (journaled)"

Time Machine WILL take hours to do your first backup. I suggest that you start in the early evening (before going to bed) and let it do the work overnight.

The reason is shows up as AppleShare is because the AFP (Apple Filing Protocol) is what's used to mount your Time Capsule drive to your compute rover a NETWORK.

To look into the format of the drive, you'd need to open your Airport Utility, connect to your Time Capsule with AU, then check the "hard drives" section to see how it's formatted. And yes, you should have it formatted as "Mac OS Extended (journaled)"

Time Machine WILL take hours to do your first backup. I suggest that you start in the early evening (before going to bed) and let it do the work overnight.

I ended up just letting it finish wirelessly, and that was not even a backup of everything...just the music... I wanted to and am now using it as my sole HD for iTunes music. So far almost 0 skipping during music playing, just a bit slower on importing new songs, fine by me to enjoy its wireless feature...

I am wondering if once I get my new Mac I will be able to simultaneously point two iTunes running on two separate Macs to the Time Capsule to get all the music through both machines...

Once I am comfortable with the process I'll probably transfer all my photos there as well and let it be a server for iPhoto as well...Gotta do a bit of research first....

Still wish it had a power button, I hate unplugging anything from the electrical source while it's up and running...

Alra111

Still wish it had a power button, I hate unplugging anything from the electrical source while it's up and running...

Alra111

Let me clarify, I meant anything high-techy. I have no problem unplugging a toaster while it's up and running. Then again, the bread might get stuck inside if I do that...

Alra111

Sorry for the delayed response; thank you kindly for all your help.

I did what you said and explored each and ever time but neglected to see "Mac OS Extended (Journaled) anywhere." Don't get me wrong, the Time Capsule is working superbly, but something keeps nagging at me that I should ensure that the hard drive is formatted this way.

I have another qustion you may be able to help me with. We just got a Vista Laptop and we want to run Atomix's Virtual DJ on it. However, in the Network Synchronization it is asking for an address and a port. I found an address, but not the port. Any idea on how this can be obtained?

Thank you kindly for your help!

Alra111

ADDENDUM: I found a Port Mapping tab under the Advanced tab, but I'm afraid to add anything in there since this is all new to me.

Well, the Time Capsule hard drive probably is already formatted in Mac OS Extended (journaled) as that has been the default for Apple since around the time of the introduction of Mac OS X (Journaled showed up around 10.2 or 10.3).

As for Port Mapping, you only need to port map if you're going to point outside access to another device on your network.

As for Windows, you'll need to make sure to install Bonjour for Windows which is included on the CD that came with your Time Capsule.

Back