Time synchronization Windows-OSX

aicul

Registered
Hello,

I use VMware 1.1 on OSX 10.5 and use windows NT SP2 virtual machines.

I am trying to stop the synchronization of the time between OSX and Virtual machine. I have unset the VMware tools setting to "synchronize clocks" but when the virtual machine is opened I can obeserve the PC clock suddenly align itself to the mac clock.

Anyone know how to prevent this update?

That was an interesting idea - my PC knowledge being close to zero!

I stopped the clock services as indicated and tried the virtual machine again.

Between
  • unsetting clock synchronization in VMware tools and
  • stopping clock synchronization in windows
I get a situation where the time I set on the virtual machine and the OSX remain different. However, when I stop the virtual machine and restart it, there seems to be a process that sets the virtual machines clock to OSX clock. You can actually see the PC clock adjust just before you can use the virtual machine.

I would like to stop this change, pick up the virtual machine with the very time at which I closed it.

In VMware Tools, disable the time synchronization, and remove any time reference in the .vmx file of this VM. After this, set your Windows time to sync which ever way you want it - or keep it completely out of sync if this is what you want.
Having network time in use on both on host Mac and the guest Windows should keep them we in sync.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf

For the record I set these parameters in the .VMX file:

tools.syncTime = FALSE
time.synchronize.continue = FALSE
time.synchronize.restore = FALSE
time.synchronize.resume.disk = FALSE
time.synchronize.shrink = FALSE

These just stop time synchronization between the virtual machine and OSX. You have to use things such as "Date and Time" from the windows control panel to set the windows time.

You may also have to stop the automatic synching of some windows services (as per previous thread). I choose the option not to link the virtual machine to anything (such as network).

Thanks to all for the feed-back

Back