Time to stir up the pot - DRM

binaryDigit

Registered
OK, follow me here. What if Apple started to embrace DRM (Digital Rights Management) in a big way? Lets say they embed DRM functionality into the hardware and make it very difficult (won't say impossible) to, for lack of a better term, "steal" copyrighted materials.

In another thread, someone mentioned that Adobe is putting less of an emphasis on the Mac at least partially because of rampant pirating of their apps. So if the Mac platform could inherently deter this pirating, there could be a cash incentive now for software manufacturers to produce more titles for the Mac platform.

Apple could also spin the fact that since many people use Macs to produce copyrighted materials (artists, musicians, etc) that the technology is a natural fit. And since Apple has a captive market, they are in a better position than most to "shove this down users throats". Apple could sign agreements with most major music houses to allow special copying rights to owners of iPods, extending the iPods user friendliness (along with DRM friendliness) by integrating all those DRM features so it's seamless.

After all, Microsoft is moving to add more DRM to Windows already, so people couldn't really "escape" by jumping ship. Apple would be hailed by the entertainment industry as once again being an "innovator" (using the tried and true techique of "do it first and do it better").

So waddaya think?

I agree with... as long as it is done well.

Privacy must be respected, and no "hardware dungle" like in the 80's.

I don't need to be able to steel music from the Internet, but I want to be able to copy my CDs on iTunes to listen to these, or copy my CDs to iTune to a mp3 CDs to have my whole ZZtop collection on one support.

The same thing will be required for movies.

Yes, dongle.

I've long thought about the dilemma of buying a copy of a piece of software to use with one computer, and one computer only (since I someday want to go into game development), and the simplest solution I can think of is to require online registration with a unique serial number and a dynamic database that will compare that number to all others; this could even happen every time the program is run. The obvious problem, of course, is for people who either don't have Internet on a computer (my iMac, for example) or don't want to connect at the time. I really don't see a way in which you can keep someone from installing the same CD onto multiple computers with the same serial number, unless you require registration, and even then people hack serial numbers.

A(nother) problem I have with software disclaimers: I dislike them saying you can only install the software on one computer. I would like to be able to install the same software (for example, Photoshop) on any computer in my household, as long as it doesn't leave the premises or is used on a computer not owned by someone living on these premises. I can't justify buying 3 or 4 separate copies of Photoshop just because I want to use it in my room while my dad uses it on this computer simultaneously.

Absolutely not. I do not want to be limited in any way from making copies/backups of my music and my software.

I personally use backup CDs I create to play games online (and listening to music as well now, making mixed cds), because the cd's always tend to get scratched through the use. I started this policy after I had to buy another copy of Brood War because mine was scratched. A guy at Blizzard Tech support actually recommended I do that.

And I agree whole heartedly with Arden. If I buy software I shouldn't have to buy multiple copies for both my desktop, powerbook, and any other computer I have in my house that I use.

The same goes with my music. I should be able to make as many copies as I want of my music so long as it stays in my household's posession.

Apple has about 3.x% market share.
Apple introduces hardware DRM.
Piracy becomes 'impossible'.
Less people buy Apple computers.
The Macintosh platform becomes less attractive to software developers.

...I'm out of the Mac way of doing things if not out of computing life forever :(

I know this may be something VERY good to many people around here but... ;)

Also, Apple can forget the other hundreds of people that I convinced to go Mac or future possible "switchers" :eek: And this is not because I embrace piracy but because I want my full freedom and an example follows:
-I watch a film from TV
-I press record to the VCR
-I reproduce the VHS tape to other 2-3 VCRs around the house

This isn't illegal, is it? So, why all this thing with digital products... Hollywood and RIAA can kiss my money goodbye FOREVER! :D

I agree with hulk, fryke, and dixon here... DRM would be a fatal mistake on Apple's part.

I just sold my old(er) iBook to a friend of mine. He's what I would call a proto-switcher. He's not jumping in headlong - definitely interested in Macintosh - but not quite ready yet to dump his PC. One of the things that really got his attention with MacOSX was the nearly complete lack of DRM technology on the platform. He was shocked that the OS install didn't require CD keys. He was equally surprised at how easy it is to rip cd's, move the resulting files around, and expecially how simple it was to pull files off an iPod, using nothing but a terminal window and 'cp -r'. He was very curious how Apple squares the DRM issues with the 'piracy' problem.

What I told him was a paraphrase of this:

Steve Jobs has commented on several occasions that 'piracy' is not a technological problem - it's a behavioural one. The iPod's DRM amounts to a small sticker on the antistatic bag that it comes in with a simple (mutilingual) message - "Please don't steal music". That's all. Just a simple request. The responsibility to honour it lies solely with the owner of the machine. One wonders what effect a similar message on a handgun ("Please don't kill people") would have.

Apple correctly recognizes that fighting 'piracy' with technological measures is a losing battle, and that doing so consumes resources that are better used to create great products. They may not be able to maintain a purist stance forever on this, but I expect they will resist any intrusive measures that would destroy the general openness of the platform. My hope is that the RIAA/MPAA will eventually recognize the truth in this, and stop treating their customers as thieves. Apple is already showing them the way.

Haha ! Steve Jobs thinks his company is soooo much important that he can start blaming piracy ! Haha ! That's irresistible ! Steve, if you read us, remember: your Apple Inc. is (economically speaking) a dwarf ! You're nothing ! And if you start applying drastic DRMs you will never reach your 3% market share again !

I can't believe this. I just cannot.
Apple DRMs... Suicidal tendencies, I say ! Apple is cutting too much grass under its feet.

Back