Times Font Conflict/Corrupt?! Displaying incorrect.

owaters

Registered
Hi,

I'm having some trouble with the Times font on my system. For some reason in 'CSSEdit 2.6' the Times font is appearing in a strange font (as seen in screenshot).

I have removed all fonts that could be causing a conflict and cleared all font caches but the problem still persists. Any ideas what could be causing this?

http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/8923/screenky7.gif

Attachments

• screen.gif
    screen.gif
    11.7 KB · Views: 4
First, repair permissions: apps/utilities/disk utility/repair permissions.

If that doesn't work then get the free Linotype FontExplorer: http://www.linotype/fontexplorer. Run it. Then got to Tools/Clean System Fonts Folder. Those fonts are moved to a folder in your hard drive, labeled in all caps. Move those and all your other user fonts (no system required) to a folder in the first level of your hard drive.

Open FontBook and turn off all fonts it has activated. Turn it off and never use it again. :)

Go to FE and Add to Library to add that fonts folder you created with your fonts and the moved system fonts. Activate the fonts you want, just don't activate Times.

Should work.

Success! Great stuff! However...

I cleaned my system fonts folder, which moved a load of fonts to my desktop in the folder 'FontsRemovedFromSystem 13/03/2008'. Nothing was labelled in all caps though... that folder contains folders 'Adobe Creative Suite 3', 'Apple iWork', 'Captials.dfont', 'Microsoft', as well as a report.

What do you mean by 'no system required'???

All the system fonts still reside in '/System/Library/Fonts' and '/Library/Fonts', is that right?

I am apprehensive about disabling all fonts in font book - it comes up with a warning about things not functioning correctly. Should I go ahead with this?

Also, what should my prefs be in FontExpolorer - should they be to move fonts or copy?

It seems to have done the trick, I'm just confused with what fonts are where and what cleaning the system font folder actually did.

Thanks

Back