Top games for mac osx

Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament, definitely.

If you've got a high-end Macintosh, get Doom 3 when it comes out.

Keep in mind that to get the best experience from these games, you need quite a bit of RAM and a good video card, like an ATi Radeon or NVidia card. You also need a PowerMac that has a relatively high clock speed, like a B/W G3 @ 450MHz or a G4.

I run a G4/400 PCI machine with an ATi Radeon 7000 card, and Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament run fine. I'm guessing, from what I've read around the internet, that Doom 3 ain't gonna look so great for me.

No Mac user should be without these games:

1. Exile (Myst III)
2. Tropico
3. Return to Castle Wolfenstein
4. Deus Ex

Wolfenstein especially puts the Mac on a map in terms of 3d walk-through games.

G

When I get my new iMac (I'm counting the days ... about 58 :( ) the second piece of software I'm going to buy (only after MS Office) is Castle Wolfenstein. I played it on my brother's PC and it's freaking fun!

BTW, has anyone else play Wolfenstein on an iMac? I'm wondering how good it runs, since it was impossible when I tried the demo on my iBook 500 (I know, I know).

I run Wolfenstein on my G3 466 Mhz iBook (128 Rage ATI) and it runs just fine...with all the graphic settings set for the lowest. :(

But still, Return to Castle Wolfenstein would be your best buy ever! If you have a G4 with a Radeon it runs awsome and multiplayer is even cooler!

So, there's my 2 cents.

I'm a big Civ III fan...that game can really waste A LOT of your time...LOL

There was also a time when I spent hours on end on Battle.net with Diablo II...another addicting game...

Originally posted by Erix

Did anyone said Civ3? :rolleyes:

Erix.

I'm glad there's another Civ player around...you can definitely attest to how addicting it is then. LOL Every single stinking game lasts a couple hours...its insane...

And Matrix Agent hit it right on the head with Starcraft...I remember endless games in undergrad...

Definitely Civ3...

I would add Tropico to the list, if it's actually playable under OS X. It's amazingly jerky and slow under OS x... I am very disappointed with the Carbon port. :(

Originally posted by Izzy

I'm glad there's another Civ player around...you can definitely attest to how addicting it is then.

I sometimes forget to eat something while playing Civ3. And sometimes I see myself building "Sun Tzu's Art of War", going into wars with enemies while sleeping.
Not a good game for human health.

Erix.

Originally posted by Erix

I sometimes forget to eat something while playing Civ3. And sometimes I see myself building "Sun Tzu's Art of War", going into wars with enemies while sleeping.
Not a good game for human health.

Erix.

LOL...I've done that as well...it's hard to stay awake and alert when it's almost 4 am and you've been playing civ3 since 9 pm. ;) That game should come with a warning label telling you it's gonna steal all of your free time and take all of your most productive hours to boot

Originally posted by Matrix Agent

1. Starcraft:D

Speaking of which:

StarCraft won more awards than any game to port to the Macintosh thus far! So if you guys have a 'game list' and don't have at least BroodWar or StarCraft, then you call that a game list? Pft...

TRANQUILITY!!!!!!! BEST OSX GAME BESIDES FOR RTCW

and my second favorite game is watching the itunes visulizer..... lol

others are civ3(great)
starcraft(bnet forever!)
diablo2(osx version is buggy)

Back