transfering from the desktop mac to powerbook

LogicMan

Registered
hello,
i just bought a powerbook. whats the best way to transfer data from my imac to this powerbook? I thought i could use the firewire port, but i dont think either of them came with that cable....

Thanks.

I thought i could use the firewire port, but i dont think either of them came with that cable....

If you're going to keep both Macs, consider purchasing a FireWire cable. I did, and I've only used it once, but I'm considering using it more often now that I'll start using my other Mac to hold my back-ups.

Back to your problem... are both computers part of a network?

If not, do you at least have an ethernet cable or an airport card for each?

If the answer to all of these questions is no, CD (or DVD, if you're lucky) burning sounds like your only option.

Let us know, then we can jump to the specifics...

Thanks.
I guess I will have to do the transfer over the network since I donot have a firewire cable......

Also, do you know if the panther os comes with Apache Tomcat installed?

You can use a firewire cable to boot up your laptop as a firewire hard drive. Upon starting up the laptop, connected to the computer via firewire, hold down the T key and your laptop becomes a hard drive you can drag files to.

The other option is go to any computer store and buy a "crossover cable" which is really just a more fancy ethernet cable. Then you can network your two computers by going to the GO menu with both computers plugged in and on. Just make sure File Sharing is enabled on both computers.

Back