Trouble copy/pasting art into iTunes

videoflyer

Registered
This is only happening some of the time...which makes it even more frustrating...

Lately, when I try to copy/paste artwork into the Artwork tab of the info window for a movie in iTunes, more often than not the only thing visible after the paste operation is a tiny black dot in the middle of the area where the art should now appear. I've tried creating the art in Photoshop and in Graphic Converter and copy/pasting from each in turn but it doesn't appear to make a lick of difference which application I'm coming from. And then at some point I just suddenly regain the ability to paste new art in there. And, again, I haven't figured out the pattern - sometimes it seems it's enough just to let some time pass; other times it seems to need a reboot; others...??

Just now it started again. I created a piece in Photoshop and tried to copy/paste into iTunes. Nothing but that tiny, all-but-not-there black dot...which highlights when I click it and moves when I adjust the sizing slider. Without doing anything else first, I fired up Graphic Converter and created a new file from the clipboard that I'd just tried to past into iTunes...et voila! There was the piece just as I made it. No little black dot. So it seems specific to iTunes.

I'm mystified. And frustrated. Does anyone recognize what might be happening here and whether or not there's a way to fix it the next time (or even this time)?

It seems as though copying-and-pasting from Photoshop doesn't work, period... correct?

What happens if you create your art in Photoshop, save the image as a JPG image, then drag the JPG file from your Desktop (or wherever you saved it) into iTunes? Does it work then?

Copy/pasting from Photoshop into Graphic Converter worked just fine. The other way 'round, too. It's only pasting into iTunes that's giving me fits.

Not sure why I didn't think of what you just suggested but prompted by your comment I did just that - saved out a JPG and it dragged in without a problem. So there ya go, I guess. But it's gonna bug the hell outta me until I figure out why copy/pasting isn't working. Grrrrrr.

Anyway, thanks!

The only reason I can think of is that iTunes is not a graphics-editing program, and may not be set up to accept the same kind of clipboard data that more robust image editing programs (like PhotoShop and GraphicConverter) can.

Do the PhotoShop images that fail on copy-paste have anything special about them? Are they something other than 8-bit RGB? Layers, perhaps? Clipping masks? Alpha channels?

No, there's nothing at all special about them. I create the art, select all and copy to the clipboard. The clipboard doesn't support layers or clipping paths or alpha channels or any like that...and I'm doing everything in 8-bit RGB. On top of it all is the fact that I've been doing this for years - to fill in album artwork gaps when iTunes (or CoverSutra or any other utilities) can't find it. I never had a problem until this issue started appearing sporadically several months ago.

It's just weird. (^_^)

Back