Trouble deleting "old" server in server admin

Rodeo_Joe

Registered
First off: my apologies if this is a redundant post.... but I read through tons of posts with no luck in finding this one. I'm a 20+ year Mac user but new to server set up and this must have an easy answer.

I got an "already set up" Panther server that was retired and put to pasture. I wanted to set it up in my home office for my kids to use with the various clients we have there. All I wanted to do was delete the server settings and start anew but am running into DNS issue with the previous server settings still being present in the server admin settings.

I do not want this server "seen" outside my home network. I am connected to the net via a Westell 327W router. My internal clients need to see this "server" for AFP/file services but also need to access the web via the DHCP settings coming from the Verizon router.

How can I easily wipe the previous server settings from the server without having to start from scratch with a clean install... if this in fact can be done?

Any help would be greatly appreciated by me and my three kids.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

JT

What version of x-serve are you running? Different versions have different methods. in 10.5 (Leopard) the DNS server can be turned off in the admin tool. I assume you want to point to your ISP's DNS server - This could be done in your network settings in the Systems Preferences.

So, when you got the server, you probably changed the IP? Mac OS X Server should always have a static IP on your local network (not be DHCP) and you'll have to use the proper tools to change the IP, if you have or wish to, such as changeip.

Mac OS X Server should also have a proper DNS hostname. This can be done by going into the DNS service, creating a zone and creating the forward and reverse pointers for the Server in that zone. This will help ensure that your service operate properly and function without error.

The server doesn't need to be "seen" outside of your home network. You would have to open up the appropriate firewall ports on your router to allow traffic in, so that should be OK, as-is. You have the option to enable that, of course, but it's not necessary.

Honestly, the easiest way would be a clean install, if you don't want any of the previous settings. Do you have the ability to do that? Just my own $0.02, but if I was taking over a retired piece of hardware, a clean install would be my first step. It'll probably be faster than troubleshooting the existing OS installation and provide a clean start for you. :)

Hope this help! Feel free to add in any additional details you think would be helpful! :D

Michael

Back