troubles updating firmware on mac mini

bluedevils

Registered
I think I followed the directions. This is what I did:

1) I hit the firmware install program shutdown button to shutdown the system

2) the mini comes to a screen that tells me to hold the power button to poweroff

3) I press and hold the powerbutton to power the system on and hold it until the power light flashes.

4) the mini beeped and then went through the boot cycle twice.

5) I login as a normal user and the firmware install program startsup and wants me to shutdown again signifying that the firmware did not update.

What am I doing wrong?

The firmware didn't 'take' the first time. Just try it again.
You should see a progress bar, and the update on the mini will take a couple of minutes with that grey progress bar under the grey apple. Then it will reboot. If you don't see the progress bar, and your system reboots, then the firmware hasn't installed - try again. One of mine took 2 tries before it updated.
If the update doesn't go, try disconnecting everything except power, keyboard (with mouse) and display. Try holding the power button until the power light flashes, and don't release until the flashing stops, or hold until you hear the long tone.

I just noticed this, just in case.

Firmware Restoration CD 1.2

Firmware Restoration CD 1.2

About the Firmware Restoration CD

Your rights to use this update are subject to the terms of the software license agreement that follows and accompanies the update. By downloading or using this update, you accept the terms of the software license agreement.

The Firmware Restoration CD can restore the firmware of an Intel-based Macintosh computer.

Note: Restoring your firmware will reset some of your computer’s preferences to defaults.

You can only use this to restore the firmware after an interrupted or failed update. If your computer is already in this state, you’ll need to download the software and create the CD on another Macintosh computer, or you can take your computer to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider to restore your firmware. This CD can be created on both PowerPC- and Intel-based Macintosh computers.

Note: This CD cannot be used to return an Intel-based Macintosh computer’s firmware to a previous version if a successful update has already been performed.

Back