Unexpected Grey Screen

rapoune

Registered
Hey guys,

I'm in such a horrible place right now... earlier today I was on my powerbook and while going regularly about my daily tasks I was asked to install some updates. I dont remember which updates I had to install but I installed them anyway... After installation I was asked to reboot, and I did, however once I rebooted I got the grey screen with the apple logo in the center. The screen did not budge for about 10 minutes, so I thought something might be up. I restarted the computer and again, after 10 minutes the screen wouldnt change.

So I started looking for reasons as to why this was happening. I popped in my install disk and did a disk check... there was one small error but it was fixed immediately and everything seemed fine. So I rebooted and still nothing. Hmmm...

So I went ahead and gave it another reboot. Still nothing. I then decided I would re-install the OS, so I did, and after the first reboot I got the grey screen again and nothing would happen.

So I decided to start in verbose mode to see what was happening. When I started it in the mode I saw a couple of errors that were probably the reason why my mac wasnt moving past the grey screen. The errors consisted mostly of:

Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleMacRiscPCI.
Couldn't alloc class "AppleMacRiscAGP"
Couldn't alloc class "AppleMacRiscPCI"
kld_load_from_memory() failed for module com.apple.driver.AppleMacRiscPCI.

Then a bunch of garbage.... and.....

Still waiting for root device.

What could possibly be wrong!? Why was my computer working and now suddently NOT?! I thought Apple computers weren't supposed to crash randomly like PC's... which is the main reason why I switched to Apple!

I am using a Powerbook G4 12" 768MB RAM. Any help with this issue would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Jordan

Hi There,

Do you have any external devices attached to the PB while booting...???
Try booting with the CD that came with the machine, and do the H/W test and see if it comes up with any error to get teh clue...
if Mac os X is installed on it, then use Apple Mac OS X disk's "Archive and Install" feture which will install new system by archiving old system... if the data is important then Doc the PB to another Mac Via F/W cable and take backups b4 doing anything..

Howe this helps..
Pramod, Good Luck...

Back