Updating my ATI card in Bootcamp

DarkSorrow

Registered
Hey guys i was wondering if i can update my ATI card. Leopard already install ATI driver for my XP but i feel that it didnt use all the feature it had. i did compare warcraft 3 game and WoW on both, Leopard and Boot Camp XP, Leopard got a better FPS than Boot Camp offer. So i feel like Boot Camp's ATI driver didnt have all the function of my ATI card

So i wonder if i go to ATI website to get their driver, will it cripple the function of boot camp in XP?

BTW im using the 1gen Macbook Pro, Sept 2006

Updated: I just google for more info about this and found this, http://forums.macnn.com/104/alternative-operating-systems/297651/do-i-dare-update-ati-video/

So basically i can update it and if there a problem, i just go to safe mode and roll back the driver or install the Leopard's driver in my XP.

There a problem. since my 1gen macbook pro is using ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, im trying to download the driver from ATI and few source, but it always the same file i download is a "Installation Verification Software" to see if i met the requirement but im always rejected. I know they have a Boot Camp Driver in their ATI website too but im afraid that it the same version of driver of what Leopard have. So is there a way to get that driver without going through Installation Verification Software?

Last edited:
If they have a driver specifically for use with BootCamp, my guess is _that_ would be the one to use, although I'd personally go with what Apple offers you through BootCamp. But if ATI offers a BootCamp driver, I guess they themselves know that the normal ones won't work.

Even though the graphics specs may match up with what ATI offers stock, their software will tell you if it can't use the unified drivers that it provides. This usually happens with laptop graphics chipsets and those you usually have to get from the laptop manufacturer. It's most likely that you'll get an error message saying that the software doesn't support the ATI chipset in your MacBook, so you're probably better off just using the ones provided by Apple through Boot Camp.

Back