Upgrade mac mini processor to core 2 duo possible?

hexstar

Registered
Hi, I have a Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz mac mini and I've heard that the core duo and core 2 duo are pin compatible and as such the mac mini should be capable of being upgraded to a core 2 duo processor right? If so, which of the core 2 duos would work in the mac mini? (Since I believe there are laptop ones and desktop ones...the name of the core 2 duo line that'd work in the mac mini would be greatly appreciated as well as the max speed the mac mini should accept) This is one of those early mac mini's...the 1.66ghz one that came with the superdrive in case that changes anything...thanks! :)

thanks for the reply :) ...I've seen that guide before but unfortunately that's just for upgrading the mini to a faster core duo processor, not to a core 2 duo processor...anyone got answers to my questions for the core 2 duo processor upgrade? Thanks, and thanks again for the reply, greatly appreciated :)

P.S. Of course I'll just be buying the processor...I'll have one my much more experienced hardware wise local mac repair shops do the upgrade ;) :p :)

ah cool so it is possible with basically any of todays core 2 duo's? :D

I notice that the system profiler says this for the processor:
System%20Profiler.JPG
is M a specific line of the core 2 duo processors or is that the firmware just being stupid? thanks! :)

perhaps the M refers to the merom line of core 2 duo? if so where can I buy that line of core 2 duo? I looked for 'em at tigerdirect.com but they don't seem to have the merom line... :(

It could just be the firmware. The Pentium-M was the uni-core predecessor to the Core processors (Duo or Solo). It didn't have the same performance as the Core or Core 2, but it was great for mobile computing.

well I notice in the gallery towards the end it says "Merom T7400 Socketed"...is that one of the lines of the core 2 duos or is it that predecessor you just mentioned (seems like it'd be one of the core 2 duo lines since the page is labled installing a core 2 duo)...also where can I buy the meroms? I looked at tigerdirect.com which usually has everything computer related at great prices but couldn't find any meroms there..:(...thanks! :)

Well, the 2.0 GHz version is drastically cheaper, so you might opt for that one, rather.

Back