upgrade to 10.5 in order to get java 1.6

Purchase OS X 10.5 installer, then install, and - done...
That's assuming you have an intel Mac, and not a PPC Mac.

Mac OS X 10.5 "Leopard" is available for both PowerPC ("PPC") and Intel Macintosh computers. The retail version will install on both platforms without problem.

As long as you have a computer that meets the specs (867MHz, 512MB of RAM, etc.), you're good to go.

Sorry, you don't get the Java update if you have a PPC - that requires an intel Mac.
And, Leopard comes first.

Amazing! No laptops? Really?
How is Java 6 functioning on my Core2Duo Macbook, then?

The only Desktop CPUs that Apple has right now, are those in MacPro models.
All other Macs are considered mobile CPUs, and certainly can run native 64-bit apps,
I guess you must be thinking of the older CoreDuo processors, which don't have 64-bit capabilities.

Didn't know Java 6 was Intel-only -- sorry!

And yeah, all processors in Macs (whether it be a laptop or a desktop) are 64-bit with the exception of the Core Duo model Macs, which are limited to the very first MacBook and MacBook Pros (I believe).

It seems that all laptops released on or after October 2006 have Core 2 Duo processors, and, therefore, are 64-bit.

It seems that all desktops (with the exception of the Mac Pros and the XServe machines) released on or after September 2006 have Core 2 Duo processors, and, therefore, are 64-bit.

If you have a G5 or a Core 2 Duo processor (or a Xeon in the XServe or Mac Pro), then you're as 64-bit as you can get for now.

There is absolutely no way Mac OS X can somehow erroneously run in 32-bit mode on a 64-bit processor. It can't "accidentally" not run in 64-bit mode.

Back