url changing on my OS X server?

boi

official breaker of macs.
I'm running a webhost on my home PowerMac, running Apache, php, mysql, etc. to have a home web site to keep track of my calendars, tasks, links, blog, et al. The problem is that when I type in the domain I have forwarded to my IP (or even the IP itself), when the page attempts to load, the url changes to dp867g4.local (the local address of that computer), and the page won't load. If I re-type the address, then reload it, the page loads fine.
This isn't just happening when I'm on a mac, it happens from my PC as well.

I've also noticed that my PC webhost does a similar thing, replacing dp867g4.local to localhost/. Again, I have to re-type the URL and hit "enter" again. Again the page loads fine.

Can anyone offer any explanations; or, better yet, solutions?

I'm having a sort-of similar problem.

I can view my web applications fine, but when my clients visit my computer, the internal g4.local address won't resolve so they can't view some of my stuff...

Try searching or looking back through the site here, someone else had a similar issue a few months back but I can't remember what the cause/fix was. I do remember seeing it though, and am pretty sure they had an iBook or PD.

Have no fear, there is a solution (provided I correctly understand your problem).

• Open Netinfo Manager in Utilities, and authenticate,
• Select /machines/localhost, and then the "name" key
• Insert New Value (option-apple-I)
• Change the second "name" property to whatever your domain name is (e.g., "fakesite.sytes.net"),
• Click in something else in the list (like "broadcasthost") and say yes to the following two messages that will pop up (save, update local directory?)
• Lastly, choose Restart Local Netinfo Domains from the Manage menu.

Now your computer will see whatever your host is (e.g., fakesite.sytes.net) as localhost and won't try to resolve it. Depending on which comes first in the name key (either localhost or your domain name) it may change the name of the entry in /machines.

If you're not exactly sure about my explaination, check the attached screenshot; if this doesn't fix your problem let me know.

Little Trick: As you may have noticed there is an extra entry in /machines : "trogdor.local". This is my linux box, called trogdor, that obviously doesn't have Rendezvous to set and publish its network name. Using a trick similar to the one above, you can add an entry with just the "name" and "ip" keys, and set the IP to whatever you want and have that name resolved to that IP without checking any DNS servers. The IP of trogdor is static (set by by local DHCP server) so all I have to do is add an entry like that to all my Mac's NetInfo /machines tables and voilà, fake Rendezvous ;)

Attachments

• netinfo.pdf
    48.7 KB · Views: 2
Back