Usb 2.0

Snark

Registered
There is no way my mac is running usb 2.0 at normal speed, its disgustingly slow it takes forever to copy or transfer anything... usb 1.0 speed, in fact.

I have a ibook 800mhz

why is the usb so slow?!

The USB HD i bought works 10 times as fast on a windows machine. The drive is also Windows fat-32 (dos) format. Maybe thats the problem?

Snark - a G3 iBook does not have USB 2 ports. You can plug in any USB 2.0 device, but the speed will still be dog-slow (for a large drive) USB 1.1 - that's all you will get. The iBook G4 models are the first with USB 2.0 ports, see if you can try one, you will see the difference immediately.

from sys profiler

USB Bus:

Vendor Name: Apple Computer, Inc.
Product ID: 32773 ($8005)
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Bus Power (mA): 500

USB2.0 Storage Device:

Capacity: 76.69 GB
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk1
Vendor Name: DMI
OS9 Drivers: No
Product ID: 11215 ($2bcf)
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Bus Power (mA): 500
Serial Number: 2004060903B2

so whats this? does this mean no usb 2.0, if not i will be seriously pissed off.

Again, your G3 iBook does not have USB 2.0 ports, so ANY device (USB 2.0 or not) will have a maximum of 12 Mb/sec. If you had a USB 2.0 port, it would show max 480 Mb/sec. Only iBooks with G4s support USB 2.0

As others have said already, the hard drive may show as being USB 2.0, because it is. However, since USB 2.0 devices are backwards compatible with USB 1.1, it still works on your iBook. USB 2.0 devices go from 480 Mbps down to the USB 1.1 12 Mbps when they are connected to devices with computers that are only USB 1.1 compatible. From what you've posted, I noticed that the connection speed said 12 Mbps, which is indicative of how USB 2.0 devices react to USB 1.1 machines.

On most Macs and PCs, you can get a USB 2.0 card to fix this, but I don't think there's anything you can do for you iBook. I don't know if something like this exists but you might want to check if a USB 2.0 PC Card exists, although I don't think the iBook has a PC card slot.

At least you can still use the drive on the iBook, albeit sluggishly. :(

The fact that the USB ports were not USB 2.0 was advertised in clear print when you bought it!

I understand, though -- I learned my lesson the same way. I got a stick of 512MB PC-133 RAM for my G4 Yikes! system years ago when I first bought the machine, thinking I'd be Billy-Badass with a ton of RAM. Imagine my surprise when my computer would only "see" 256MB of it. Clearly advertised was the fact that my computer would only accept modules up to 256MB in size... hey, big disappointment, but my fault completely! :(

The iBook G3 800 was released in 2002. USB 2 was a very new standard then and not supported on many mainstream machines.

It's an annoying bug called progress :D. Just be thankful USB 2 devices are backward compatible with 1.1, so you still get to use them.

Solution 1: Purchase a dual-connect hard drive case (both USB 2 and FireWire) and install the hard drive in that. Gives you GREATLY increased speed on the iBook through FireWire, and the USB 2 port gives you fast use on your PC, too. Perhaps not an elegant solution, as you need both types of cables. This gives you what you want out of your iBook, without purchasing a new system :) which would be 'Solution 2'

it doesnt matter... because the logic board on my ibook just died.... yup it has to be replaced every four months. Which means this mac has nothing to give. I might end up buying a damned pc because i cant afford a mac. I may end up with a low end dell desktop as a replacement.

Snark said:
it doesnt matter... because the logic board on my ibook just died.... yup it has to be replaced every four months. Which means this mac has nothing to give. I might end up buying a damned pc because i cant afford a mac. I may end up with a low end dell desktop as a replacement.

AaAaacCcKKkkKK!!! :confused:

Oh man, sorry to hear that happened. The only thing we can all hope for is that if you do send it in for another logic board, that Apple would hook you up with one that DOES have USB 2.0. Hopefully this does get resolved so you don't lose faith in Macs.

I know how you feel. I got burned by Apple thanks to the confusion they caused during the PPC 601/603/604 days. I ended up getting a Performa 6220CD which only caused us headaches. And that's not even mentioning the 15" MultiScan issue where one of the color guns would go out, leaving you with a green screen. I know better now, but yeah it's still a bit hard to deal with, especially for the prices Apple computers are commanding. It's that price that makes the sting even worse because you were under the impression you were paying for something that would last (not so much the USB issue, but the logic board issue).

Anyways, good luck man. Sorry... :(

I wouldn't count on Apple hooking you up with a board that has USB 2.0. You'll either get a repaired logic board, which, if your current one doesn't have USB 2.0, the repaired board won't have it either... or...

If Apple replaces the entire computer, you can hope that they upgrade you to an iBook that does have USB 2.0, which seldom happens except when Apple's in the middle of revising a product line. For example, certain people found, when sending in their 15GB iPod for service, that Apple replaced the unit with a 20GB unit instead of repairing their 15GB unit... however, these 15GB units were not more than a few days or weeks old, so it's possible that the 15GB was discontinued and Apple had no choice but to replace it with the current model that replaced the 15GB.

ElDiabloConCaca said:
I wouldn't count on Apple hooking you up with a board that has USB 2.0. You'll either get a repaired logic board, which, if your current one doesn't have USB 2.0, the repaired board won't have it either... or...

If Apple replaces the entire computer, you can hope that they upgrade you to an iBook that does have USB 2.0, which seldom happens except when Apple's in the middle of revising a product line. For example, certain people found, when sending in their 15GB iPod for service, that Apple replaced the unit with a 20GB unit instead of repairing their 15GB unit... however, these 15GB units were not more than a few days or weeks old, so it's possible that the 15GB was discontinued and Apple had no choice but to replace it with the current model that replaced the 15GB.

You are probably right....unless Snark becomes (as quoted by my favorite Plankton) "a real pain in the fanny" to Apple by letting them know that he's replaced this computer a bunch of times already, only to have it go down in flames in the near future. I mean seriously, this shouldn't have to happen. I've always known Apple computers to be the best of breed in order to justify the cost. I've always told PC users that Macs are better because of their staying value. However, if I'm going to get PC quality in my Macs, I might as well get a PC (preferably without Windows) and save myself the extra cash.

I do commend Apple for doing a great job in assisting these customers, but they need to get their QA in order. :rolleyes:

Back