Volume Ownership?

unlearnthetruth

Recycle Me!
is it possible to change the ownership, etc. of a volume? I have two hard drives, and i'd switched my swap to one of them, then i switched it back, and now both are owned by "system" in the group "wheel" and i need to log in as root to alter things... Can i change this?

When you say "to alter things" do you mean to do anything with the Volume? If you still have correct permissions on all your stuff (home dir, apps, etc), then its a GOOD thing to have to login as root to do any administrative stuff, such as change your swap volume.

So I'm not sure exactly what you mean but generally its a good thing if you can't change configs unless you are root.

-John

sounds like you are having the same problem I was with the swap mod. the system takes control of random volumes for the swap file. the way i would fix it is to show priv's for a volume and click the ignore priv's box close it and them open it again. it would ask for a password then give me ownership again. But after I reboot sytem takes control again. be carfull because yesterday when I was changing the location of the swap file, system completely erased one of my drives in one reboot.

If you want to restore your ownership of a volume that has no OS X system on it, that should not cause problems. Just use the following command:
sudo chown -R [new owner]:[new group, if desired] /Volumes/[volume you want to change]

By "alter things" i meant do anything..... delete files, move files, what have you.... I fixed the problem by logging in as root, and setting the privilages to read and write for everyone on the drive. But it still belongs to 'system' in 'wheel' whatever the hell that means... oh well..... the term command listed above said "sudo: no match" when i tried to use it... i guess the problem is solved for now. THanks!

If you can log in as root, you can run the chown command given above without the "sudo"

What sudo lets you do is run one single command as root, without launching a whole root shell or login. That way, you can work faster and safer (good sys admin rule of thumb: always use the least amount of permissions required for the job... but I digress...)

To fix the inability to find sudo, you have to add "/usr/bin" to your PATH. This varies from shell to shell, judging from your error message, I'd say you were using tcsh. This thread should tell you how to do that.

-alex.

Back