Vpc 5.0.2

ulrik

Registered
It seems like nobody mentioned it....Connectix just released an update to VPC 5.0.2, promising better performance...well, let's see if that is true

From the comments I've seen at versiontracker.com (I don't have it myself), it seems that Connectix dramatically improved the performance of VPC 5 under OS X with version 5.0.2. And that's a good thing (all of the March 6 reviews at versiontracker gave it a 5-star review!).

That sound great! Another app less I tend to use in OS 9...now SHIP ME THAT FLASH MX!!!! :p

I just installed the update but couldn't test it, since the installer wanted to restart my system, but at the moment I am mirroring several GBs from an external FTP-server to my system...I'll test it once I can reboot!!!

SWEET! It's a lot faster now. I think it's about the same as in OS 9, or a tiny bit slower.

At least it's somewhat usable now.

as I said, no chance of testing it yet, but the older version under OS 9 pretty much felt like the P2 450 it was configured to be! REALLY fast and responsive...

I must say, I just tried out the VPC 5.0.2 with Windows XP, Windows 2k and RH Linux 7, and man, under OSX, I can hardly notice a difference between the performance there and under OS9. That is a really impressive job Connectix has done. I can now do under OSX something that I could not do under OS9, and could not do *comfortably* under OSX: Load up a Win2k client running a Rational ClearCase session, with VOB storage on another VPC client, RH Linux 7.0 running its view storage as a SAMBA share, providing view storage for CC, and NFS sharing its files back to my Mac to edit! *happy grin*

Stupid me,
I had read reviews on the .1 (or what I thought was the .1) update and they kept saying how slow it was - so I stayed away from the .1 update... and was ok with the .0 version.

It was ok, crashed every now and then - but never thought it was as bad as they said in the reviews (thus my staying away from .1), but then I started noticing my system processes and saw that my "CPU Usage" was at 106%... hmmm... on single processor systems - that would really slow everything down! And here I am avoiding the update! DOH! :D

Downloading the .2 update now... :)

Connectix finally got VPC tuned for OS X with 5.02. The update significantly increased speed for me running VPC on my G4/800DP, running WinME. With this update, now I might even attempt to create a Win2000 image to see how well it runs.

Well, it is better... does not crash itself or other programs running. Seems to manage CPU cycles better...

I'm still not too happy with it's speed - but I think that has to do with my using Win2K on it, I'll be installing Win98 and see if that gives me better speed.

Overall it's good! Might even lower my use on a Wintel box down to just games! :)

I left one of my virtual PC's in the "saved" state instead of shutting it down.

Now when I try to launch it says it is corrupt and should be "discarded".

Does that mean it will discard the saved state, or the entire virtual PC?

What do I do now?

How do I down-grade back to 5.0.1?

This update has definately made VPC faster on my TiBook 500. The only thing is is that now IE running under WindowsMe is faster than IE running under OSX. WTF?

Originally posted by genghiscohen
Yup, just your saved state. :D
(Whew, was I glad to find that out! Was really sweating there for a minute. ;))

You're lucky, older versions of VPC would refuse to load a saved state disk image from another version, so you were basically screwed if you updated your VPC while one of you drives had a saved state.

I'm really happy they decided to change that.

I didn't see a demo on the site. Am I correct in that there isn't one? That would suck, because I would consider buying it, but I"m not going to until I can test it.

I"m sure it'll show up on the "creatively acquired" servers, but it's such a pain sometimes.

hey, uhm, i just got vpc w/o and os pack. stupid me. dos 2000 waho, anyways can you guys give me some information on how to put say win2000 on my computer so i can run it in vpc? do i just pop in the win2000 cd make and image and then go from there? help me plz thanks

cherry ones are best
~the devil likes poptarts, so should you~

It's pretty easy, all you have to do is boot up your DOS image with the windoze 2000 cd in your Mac and VPC will see it.

You can then install windoze off of the CD.

Back