Vpc 5.0.2

Originally posted by mightyjlr
This update has definately made VPC faster on my TiBook 500. The only thing is is that now IE running under WindowsMe is faster than IE running under OSX. WTF?

That's because of all of those "speed holes" that Windows has already built in - add Internet Explorer's "speed holes", and there's your answer...

Oh wait, "speed holes"? I think I mean Security Holes! :p

i gave it a try and the new virtual pc speed is really good.
i just wonder what the installer does, because i had to restart after the installation. does anybody know that?

I think the restart is just a throwback to 9isms, but I'm not certain. I don't really question it. I've pretty much accepted that installing software is not what you do if you're going for long haul uptimes.

As for speed. My win95 launch time went from 36 seconds to 23 seconds. Visably faster. And every time I use VPC, I love it, while at the same time, every time I use Windows, I hate it. VPC running Windows is like having a horny, rabid, pissed off porcupine inside of a plexiglass ball. You can safely hug the ball, all the while looking right at that porcupine, saying "I hate you, Bill." ... because ... the porcupine is named Bill. ... I'm getting my metaphors all confused now, I'll just stop. :)

Originally posted by devonferns

You're lucky, older versions of VPC would refuse to load a saved state disk image from another version, so you were basically screwed if you updated your VPC while one of you drives had a saved state.

I'm really happy they decided to change that.
Nothing is changed. I'm screwed!

HELP!!!

Originally posted by Dradts
i gave it a try and the new virtual pc speed is really good.
i just wonder what the installer does, because i had to restart after the installation. does anybody know that?
the issues here is that it did not bother to tell us in advance that a reboot was reqired... If I had known that, I would have done it at a different time.

So I tried my NXbench in NEXTSTEP 3.3 again with the 5.0.2 upgrade. Originally I got 3.8375 in Mac OS 9 and 1.4243 in Mac OS X. After upgrading to 5.0.2 I get 1.8174, still not up to where it was in Mac OS 9, but better.

I have an iBook 500 Dual USB with 640MB of RAM, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience regarding how well VPC runs on it. I would like to be able to boot into Windows 2000 once in a while to check my web development projects.

Thanks in advance!

-B

I have VPC running on my G3 233 laptop with 160M RAM. granted, it's pretty much slow as balls, and I run Win95 or 98 to minimize the Windows overhead, it's perfectly valid for running web browsers. Running starcraft is pretty poor, but web browsers I do all the time and it's just fine.

Originally posted by TommyWillB
I left one of my virtual PC's in the "saved" state instead of shutting it down.

Now when I try to launch it says it is corrupt and should be "discarded".

Does that mean it will discard the saved state, or the entire virtual PC?

What do I do now?

How do I down-grade back to 5.0.1?
I finally answered my own question...

If you forget to save a PC State before upgrading you will NOT be able to open that PC... However you can duplicate the PC and point the new one to the same C: drive and it will work...

The only thing is that you will loose the changes... But that is 98% better than loosing the entire PC.

I have asked this before, but got no response...
I just installed VPC 5 and it all worked fine, but can someone explain to me how internet connection work in VPC? I have been told that the internet connection is preconfigured in VPC or that it shares your mac's connection or something (with XP which I have) and that I don't have to adjust or configure anything to connect to the internet (with XP). Well, I haven't, and I can't connect (which means that I for example not can load a page in Internet Explorer and get the "The page cannot be displayed" error.)
Can someone help?

Originally posted by julguribye
I have asked this before, but got no response...
I just installed VPC 5 and it all worked fine, but can someone explain to me how internet connection work in VPC? I have been told that the internet connection is preconfigured in VPC or that it shares your mac's connection or something (with XP which I have) and that I don't have to adjust or configure anything to connect to the internet (with XP). Well, I haven't, and I can't connect.
Can someone help?
Are you using a modem, DCS/Cable, ethernet LAN?

Are you using the Virtual Switch or Shared Networking?

As you can see in my signature, I have an ADSL connection which uses PPPoE.
I use the default Shared Networking setting.

If you just set the OS to use DHCP everything else should just configure itself. That's assuming you're using the Shared Networking setting in VPC.

Originally posted by theed
If you just set the OS to use DHCP everything else should just configure itself. That's assuming you're using the Shared Networking setting in VPC.

And how do you do that?:(
(Sorry, I'm not familar with Windows XP:p)

How fast is "fast" in yor minds. Because on my Quicksilver 867 G4 it takes it a while just to show a simple app like Internet Explorer, and even takes about 3 seconds to load the programs folder in the start menu....

Back