VPC with Panther on a 1.25 Ghz G4

Gigamux

Registered
Had used VPC (Virtual P C) ver 5 on OS 9.1 with a 500 Mhz Ti Book and really it was not too bad. A little slow, but acceptable. So I upgraded to a 1.25 Ghz G4 desktop and Panther late last year. I could never get VPC ver 5 to work with Panther, so I called for help; big mistake cause M$ as you all know took over VPC. After about 2 hours and several phone clerks; M$ finally told me that it just will not work and to go with ver 6. I did not and have not done it yet; but need to use some Windows programs that do Tax forms for 1120s and 1065 and can not find a Mac program that does these.

So does anyone know of such tax programs and if not-

After looking for messages about VPC and Panther, it looks like no one has had a decent recomendation; so I want to call the question.

Has anyone had any acceptable service from VPC 6 on Panther with a 1.25 GHZ G4 machine?

It might sound really bad, but I would go for a very cheap pc from ebay or Co.
The point is, that even an old P2 233 will do much better than VPC6 on any fast G4 mac. This way you will save money on VPC6 which should be almost as high as for an old pc. You can use a lot of very nice freeware tools (RemoteDesktopClient) to remotely controle the pc (Win2k and WinXP). You wouldn't even need a screen.

Zammy-Sam said:
The point is, that even an old P2 233 will do much better than VPC6 on any fast G4 mac. This way you will save money on VPC6 which should be almost as high as for an old pc. You can use a lot of very nice freeware tools (RemoteDesktopClient) to remotely controle the pc (Win2k and WinXP). You wouldn't even need a screen.
I have to second that, drawing especially is just amazing slow. You'll go from a 1.25GHz to a 33MHz computer, that's what it feels like. Remote Desktop Client + PC = perfect for what you need.

Zammy-Sam said:

Thanks to both Zammy-Sam and Veljo for what the answer that I was also pondering. I really did not want to do it, but I know it might be the most elegant answer to my needs.

Looks like some how I could find some MAC OSX s/w that does these tax forms that I use every year. However if google can't find it, then no one can.

On ward to ebay for an old intel machine. Although the dark tipper on Tech TV found dell has deals to buy a machine w/o monitor for about 500$; might last me for years to come as my tax program fix.

Don't know if this is helpful for you, but there is a Tax programm for germans (running on mac). It's called: TaxUp 2004 Pro
Maybe there is something like this for different countries as well.
Btw, a suitable pc system shouldn't cost more than $100

bobw said:
Intuit's Tax programs for Macs can work with these forms;

http://www.intuit.com/

Oh, but Grasshopper, they will not do the 1120S and the 1065. You must have the Windose OS to get the forms out of the hand, so you can move on with your life. MAC version is only good for 1040, the business version only does 1040 not the corporate and partnership returns that I listed.

So, I will go out and buy a second hand Windose CPU and get on with my life.

Thanks for the help, as always; I am the Gigamux

I can move on with my life??
Maybe you should do some reading before you start sounding like an idiot.

Here are these forms from TurboTax 2003 for Mac;

form1065.jpg

form1120S.jpg

bobw said:
I can move on with my life??
Maybe you should do some reading before you start sounding like an idiot.

Here are these forms from TurboTax 2003 for Mac;

form1065.jpg

form1120S.jpg

Wow, you must have got up on the wrong side of the bed. One should not throw stones unless he has actually clicked on the link you reference in your sounding like an idiot message, cause when you click on it you get this message back:
The image “http://homepage.mac.com/maktek/form1065.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Besides that, I searched all over their web site and even spoke with Intuit and they told me that only the Windose version does the two returns in question.

Just before I hit the send button on this message, I switched from Netscape to Safari just to see if it could open your reference URL and when it did, it opened a JPG of the K-1 form; but no link back to where it came from; so I still can't reconcile what you are trying to tell me.

Send me the PDF, URL or something that says the MAC version does the two returns in question from Intuit. Your Links were just JPG files of Tax Forrms. Could be from the Windose version.

You could use some manners but maybe you don't see the other choices that you have. Anyway, thanks for your help and I have no grudge for ya. My poor attempt at humor was a take off on the old Kung Foo series about how the old priest told the young man, that you can leave ( get on with your life) the monestary when you get take the rock out of his hand. No reference meant to be derogatory to you or anyone else. It was a joke, maybe not understood by ya. I did not mean anything by it, just having fun.

I am on to find out where I can get a old beat up PC for 100$.

Oh, but Grasshopper, they will not do the 1120S and the 1065. You must have the Windose OS to get the forms out of the hand, so you can move on with your life.

I must have gotten up on the wrong side of bed?

There are two images appearing in this thread, one of the 1065 form and one of the 1120S form. They shouldn't be links unless you have the option tfor images urned off in your Control Panel for this site.

Besides that, I searched all over their web site and even spoke with Intuit and they told me that only the Windose version does the two returns in question.

Highly unlikely that anyone at Intuit would tell you this as TurboTax Business (Mac and PC) are known to have ALL IRS forms, unless of course, you were talking to another idiot.

Where the forms came from - my version of TurboTax Home & Business 2003.

I posted the forms so that you would know they are available in the Mac version. I think that was mannerly. I was trying to help you.

These are images of the forms;

http://homepage.mac.com/maktek/form1065.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/maktek/form1120S.jpg

OK, we got to get to the bottom of this.

Here is the question that will solve it.

Is the version that you have that has 1120s and 1065 tax forms a Mac OS X version?

Yes or No. If yes, I will complain to Intuit for their employees lack of knowledge.

Evidently the answer will come back yes and so I am on the phnoe ASAP to call you know who.

I may have to fall on my sword, but the jury has not yet voted.

I got to thinking about your last message and I need to cut your legs out from under you:

FIRST YOU WROTE:

There are two images appearing in this thread, one of the 1065 form and one of the 1120S form. They shouldn't be links unless you have the option tfor images urned off in your Control Panel for this site.

MY REPLY: Attached labled control PNL.jpg is how I found my settings... So I did some investigating and found out this: When I view this site with Netscape, your images show up as URL links, however when I view this site with Safari, I see the images. So go figure that one out.

Then you wrote:

Highly unlikely that anyone at Intuit would tell you this as TurboTax Business (Mac and PC) are known to have ALL IRS forms, unless of course, you were talking to another idiot.

MY REPLY: Now, I really got you here. Also attached are two images of the on line chat I had just now had with Intuit. This is the second intuit employee that told me the same thing. No 1120s and 1065 forms for Mac Version of T. Tax.

OK, it is your turn to disprove what I am being told.

I figure any way this turns out will be good for me. If you some how are correct, I win and if you are wrong; I get to say I told you so.

So your turn at convincing the Jury.

Attachments

• control PNL.jpg
    control PNL.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Intuit pg1.jpg
    Intuit pg1.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Intuit pg 2.jpg
    Intuit pg 2.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 13
guys. arguing is kinda dumb. bobw is saying that he is able to use the forms in his version. i can see the images, and yes, they're an OSX version.

don't insult people that are trying to help you, please.

otherwise we're all very glad to have been of any assistance.

Gigamux

I was assuming the images would appear in any browser. This may be a bug in the forum software. In Safari, the Image tag adds a couple extra digits for some reason, so you would get a page error. I'll let the site owner know about this.

Sorry about all the banter here. It's being cause by an idiot at Intuit. You should have had a look for yourself though, at Intuits product site. Or, just posted a question here, to see if anyone knows if TurboTax for Mac had these forms. A lot of folks on these boards know more than the techs you get on the phone when you call a company.

http://www.shop.intuit.com/commerce...ode=5070000&categoryId=cat0000000000004330714

You'll see TurboTax Premier Home & Business for Mac, both OS 9 and OS X versions are on the same CD. It has every form provided by the IRS. I've been using TurboTax, formerly MacInTax, for years for my business.

I havea 1.25Ghz 15" powerbook.
I can run NT4, win 3.11, NeXTSTEP and OS/2 without problems. XP is a little bit of a lag and I cannot boot OpenSTEP (BeOS is out of the question :p) I use VPC 6

I know nothing of this stuff, but aren't there online browser-based solutions for this kind of thing these days?

Probably not as involved as what you need for business, and I wouldn't do my business returns on the web.

BobW

Thank you for the appology. Being called an idiot made me a little angry. But I think what we have here is a real interesting situation. You still admonish me for not looking at the Intuit web site; but that is why I first disputed your stance. I could only see that the Windows version of Turbo did the 1065 and 1120s and that the Mac version was for only filing SOLE PROPRIETORSHIP. See attached JPG

Now I really am undecided who to believe; Three diffenent Intuits have told me that the TurboTax Premier Home & Business for Mac does not do 1120s and 1065 and one Intuit told me that TurboTax Premier Home & Business for Mac does do 1065 but not 1120s. And you say that "It has every form provided by the IRS."

Well I believe you and I am going to buy it.

However, if you and I have not communicated well enough here and it turns out that it will NOT do the 1120s and the 1065, will you reimburse me for the Turbo? Look at it as kind of a bet, all but one sided, but your really can't lose can you. That seems to be a fair way to settle my instability at this juncture. I know you do not have to agree to the reimbursement; but keep in mind I am buying it just on your recommendation and against the Intuits representatives.

So, hopefully when you see this reply, you will understand that I am a dilligent guy and not what you first tagged me and we can all be friends.

Attachments

• Soleman.jpg
    Soleman.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 6
Being told to get on with my life when I was just trying to help made me angry as well. I wouldn't have said those forms were available in the Mac versions if they weren't. Give it a try.

Back