W00T! Firefox 1.0!

It's still a preview release. Right? I thought 1 wasn't supposed to come until October. Either way, exciting!!

I've been using Firefox since 0.8. 0.9 and 1.0 are both a little faster than Safari for me.
Nice browser.

I've been trying to get FireFox 1.0PR since 8:00 am (CST) and it keeps telling me it can't find the file! Damn! I've even tried browsing the directory manually (just by taking the filename off the end of the URL) and it STILL won't let me get it... what the hell is going on?

Attachments

• Picture 1.pdf
    47.8 KB · Views: 7
Some developers are referring to 1.0 as 0.1. ;-) ... Bringing RSS support to a browser is nothing special. I don't know who had that idea first, but OmniWeb 5 (which was in development for quite a while) has it, Firefox has it and Safari _will_ have it in about a year, so...

Still: Competition is good for the consumer here, I guess, since we're getting faster and more browsers for Mac OS X ever since Safari Public Beta entered the game... I'm not a fan of mozilla (Netscape basically open-sourced a mess as mozilla and the crowd is still sorting it out for us, now in various projects...), KHTML (-> Safari) is a much leaner/cleaner product.

fryke said:
Still: Competition is good for the consumer here, I guess, since we're getting faster and more browsers for Mac OS X ever since Safari Public Beta entered the game... I'm not a fan of mozilla (Netscape basically open-sourced a mess as mozilla and the crowd is still sorting it out for us, now in various projects...), KHTML (-> Safari) is a much leaner/cleaner product.

AFAIK, Mozilla is a complete rewrite and there isn't any legacy code from the Netscape Navigator programs. That's why it has taken them this long to get to where they are. So for what it's worth, I think Mozilla is really nice and I tend to like it better than KHTML based browsers (Konqueror springs to mind).

:p firefox is the best browser out there for linux/windows. but hey i'm sticking to camino.. its soo much faster on osx.

FireFox is The Browser for all my computers... but my Macs (Safari is the Mac King)

yea safari is nice. but i dont like its cache-ing mechanism. it sometimes returns a webpage from the cache and not from the original source. this bugs me a lot.

I'm surprized when you say Camino is faster than FireFox. Did you try the latest version ?

There's no doubt FireFox is faster than Safari, it's just too bloated for me. Camino is where it's at. A nice combination of Safari's grace with FireFox's flat out rendering speed. Could use some more options, but it's still at 0.8, so i'm sure it will get better :)

I see a lot of similarities between Safari, Mozilla Firefox and Camino. All three are lean, mean browsing (and ONLY browsing) machines -- like Opera used to be back in the day (Saturday I think :)). All three have user configurable toolbars with drag and drop ability, all three have separate Location and Search boxes (unlike the full Mozilla which can search directly from the Location box), and all three are available in native form on MacOS X.

There's simply no doubt, though, that Safari is far and away the most "Mac-like" of the tree; Apple knows a good thing and has done good work at making this Konquerer/KHTML based browser a native part of OSX. Camino is next in line, having a totally native user interface with some very nice looking widgets and stuff. Firefox is the most cross-platform and works (at least 97%) identically on Mac, Windows, Linux, OS/2, etc. It's the least "Mac like" but it's still a great browser, with the same rendering engine as Camino, and if you do use multiple platforms then you may appreciate how FireFox looks and works the same on all your systems. Consistency can be a good thing.

Personally, I use all three on MacOS X. I've had some issues with Firefox not recognizing right mouse clicks (ever!), I have Camino set as my default web browser, but I don't see any particular advantages that Camino has over Safari or vise versa, other than Safari's damned brushed-metal look.

I greatly look forward to the official Firefox 1.0 (the current release is the 1.0 preview, aka beta) and hope that it will start working with my right mouse button (Camino and Safari both do).

You don't think Camino renders pages faster than Safari?

If Safari had Camino's rendering engine, and a native option to have an aqua version, i would be in Web Browser Heaven :p

The Safari brush killer makes it look weird, i dont know, something about the way it does it just looks weird.

well.. most of my browsing, i use Safari. But i do have FireFox and Camino installed on my machine. As far as browsing the web, i used to Safari. But one thing about Safari is that, the fact that is used KHTML engine makes CMS thing's impossible.

Reason being, most of CMS (based on Javascript) use Mozilla-engine version 1.3 and above. hopefully, we might have a mozilla-based safari (which i don't any soon or possible to have one.. ), so that i can use 100% safari for my web browsing + development.

So for me, i used FireFox for my web development and Safari for normal browsing...

Back