W00T! Firefox 1.0!

I use Firefox because they have done a real nice job implementing the extensions on it.

I have 2 installed and they take care of all the ads that I don't want to see.

Ad-Block & Nuke anything

MBHockey said:
If Safari had Camino's rendering engine, and a native option to have an aqua version, i would be in Web Browser Heaven :p
Not sure what you mean. Camino has a native aqua interface, it's the gecko engine ported to Cocoa, unless I read the website wrong.

Using Firefox 1.0 now. What bugs me is: I use an external mouse (wheel + trackball) and in Safari if I click on links using the scroll wheel button, it'll open the link in a new tab. Doesn't do this in any of the Gecko browsers - I'm about to try Camino and I hope it does.

EDIT:
Bingo! Found me a new fav browser for OSX. I grabbed the Camino nightly build. It's everything Firefox is, plus I can middle-mouse-button click on links to open them in new tabs. Perfection.

Help.... at work Firefox 1PR works fine, at home it doesn't work. Sometimes it starts and won't show any windows, sometimes it starts and shows a window but won't go anywhere. I can't get into preferences, or extensions or anything. I've tried restarting, re-installing, re-downloading, throwing out some files (however i have no idea what files go with firefox) and nothing works. Firefox is dead!!

one of my favorite exstentions is diggler, it adds a konqerer like button to the adress bar, for those of you who know konq, you know how helpfull this is,

twsiter, same thing happened to me when I first fired up Firefox. Didn't show a window, the menu only have "Firefox" app menu and nothing else, basically it looked like it was borked. I closed it out and retry running it and it was fine.

Go into the Library folder in your Home directory, then go into Application Support. Look for the Firefox folder and trash it, then run Firefox again. See what happens then. I think on the very first run it's busy writing the initial config/preference files.

I'll try again when i get home. I did try everything I could think of but I'll look for the application support stuff. Thanks

Firefox is nice in many many ways but I hope that in the near future it will become more of an Apple Mac OS X app than a just multi OS capable one... OmniWeb and Safari come to mind ;)

hulkaros said:
Firefox is nice in many many ways but I hope that in the near future it will become more of an Apple Mac OS X app than a just multi OS capable one... OmniWeb and Safari come to mind ;)
You're forgetting Camino. It's the same Gecko HTML rendering engine in an Aqua shell. Camino is a part of the Mozilla foundation and it serves the purpose of what you're hoping for, so Firefox doesn't have to become any "more" OSX native.

How do you tab into checkboxes or drop-down menus? I've tried everything and it works in safari and camino, but can't seem to figure out how to enable this in firefox :(

Lycander said:
You're forgetting Camino. It's the same Gecko HTML rendering engine in an Aqua shell. Camino is a part of the Mozilla foundation and it serves the purpose of what you're hoping for, so Firefox doesn't have to become any "more" OSX native.

No no no! I was talking about it being more Cocoa based instead of a multiplatform one... Being able to use Services, etc. That roadmap is interesting though ;)

On a whim, I downloaded Firefox and it's just fantastic.

Interestingly enough, it actually has all the features which I've asked Apple to put into Safari + the RSS feature that I was looking forward to in Tiger.

I still love Safari, but I just couldn't find a good reason not to switch (I still prefer the look of Safari's user interface though).

Maybe when Safari RSS comes out I'll switch back...

Kap

There's the definite advantage that you can upgrade FireFox (or Camino, etc) to get new features like RSS feeds while with Safari you must purchase and install a whole new operating system version to get such features.

Spell check.... that's what firefox needs for me. However, at home, firefox is way faster than safari and i have no idea why.

Did anyone try to do a search of text on a webpage using FireFox?

im impressed in the finding feature of FireFox 1.0, wish we will have this kind of feature in Safari...

On Macs, press Cmd+F, you should u see a bar located at the bottom and quickly highlighted the text as u type it...

On the otherside, press Ctrl-F.

=)

The find feature's nice, however I wish it would highlight _all_ instances at the same time. No need for 'find next' if you're highlighting this way, right? And I _do_ guess Safari will get this in Tiger (spotlight)...

Still, Camino ISN'T all that Cocoa :p Services, Font and Color panels access ALWAYS come to mind... Read more on what Camino is here:
http://arstechnica.com/etc/mac/index.html

Basically, what that GREAT Camino guy says is that until Mozilla.org will take a more accurate OS X path, Camino will always be a hybrid of Cocoa/Windows spaggeti code :rolleyes: Unlike, once more, the amazing OmniWeb and Safari ;)

Back