Wallpaper changes when I plug in headphones!?

Anthony

Registered
OK.. this is going to sound weird.. but I have an original model Dual USB iBook 12".. the kind that uses the same jack for headphones and the audio/video out cable... whenever I plug in a particular pair of headphones, the screen turns blue for a second as if its changing resolutions - I think the headphone plug might be triggering the video out mechanism... but the problem is after the screen goes blue for a second, it comes back and my desktop wallpaper is different! It seems to choose a random one from my pictures folder. I did at one time have the option turned on to randomly change the wallpaper when the machine comes out of sleep, but that has been turned off for months because I found it annoying. It doesn't change when it comes out of sleep (like its supposed to).. only when I plug or unplug headphones. Anybody have any ideas? Obviously its not the end of the world and I realize I can just get rid of the pictures I dont want as wallpaper by moving them out of my Pictures folder.. but I'm kind of curious as to why this might be happening. I'm running 10.2.4 (6I32), but it has done this on previous versions as well.

The iBook is actually detecting the headphones jack as if it was the video cable. So it goes into TV display mode. But you already said this. However the behavior of MacOS X when changing display modes has changed since some software update (I don't remember which version... probably since the very introduction of jaguar). From this update on, each display mode has a completely independent set of preferences. So, if the iBook thinks it is connected to a TV and you change your desktop picture preferences, that picture will be shown whenever you connected a TV.

So... try to connect the mac to a TV and then change the settings for the desktop picture. Hopefully it will maintain those settings.

Btw... I have an iBook 500 and it still goes into TV mode sometimes when I connect headphones. Also, sometimes even when I disconnect them, it doesn't come out from this mode. This is a MacOS X bug, not a problem of your hardware. Don't worry. Just live with it. :rolleyes:

Back