Well? Has anyone gotten their G5 yet?

Hi!

Well,i read about a guy in Sweden who got a G5 1.6 GHz machine.He said it made a horrible sound when it boots and that the fans(all 9) runs at full speed(loud) before its booted and fully controlled by OS X.This is does not sound to cool :(

Source: www.macnytt.com

M

Originally posted by MacFeel
Hi!

Well,i read about a guy in Sweden who got a G5 1.6 GHz machine.He said it made a horrible sound when it boots and that the fans(all 9) runs at full speed(loud) before its booted and fully controlled by OS X.This is does not sound to cool :(

Source: www.macnytt.com

M

That's actually a fear of mine.

My room at my apartment is an oven (even during the winter)
I hate to think of how loud this machine gets if all the fans are spinning at full speed.

Well,i read about a guy in Sweden who got a G5 1.6 GHz machine.He said it made a horrible sound when it boots and that the fans(all 9) runs at full speed(loud) before its booted and fully controlled by OS X.This is does not sound to cool

Well, this is exactly how the MDD G4s operate. Upon boot, all the fans kick on for about 10-20 seconds before the OS gets to the "blue screen" part of it's boot. At that point, the fans quiet to a normal volume...

HEYY thats just part of it...dont tell me the boot up is gunna make someone not buy this thing..YOU MUST BE SMOKING SOME GOOD STUFF...
LOL...

G5Pimpology

So no one has one yet, this is getting mysterious... are they real, is it my imagination. Nearly 20,000 members and not one G5!
:confused:

Regarding the boot noise....remember, just never turn it off...you don't need to.

Later,
Eddie

Speaking of motherboards. I see someone was talking about a difference between the G5 models. This perhaps answers my question already, but... If I bought a G5 single processor could I upgrade it later to dual processor? I haven't seen anything that says yes or no. But I figured there would be one motherboard and you would just but a second daughter card. This is one area where I wish Apple would think more 'mainframe' like. That is, the whole thing should be VERY modular to upgrade to higher models. And the G5 looks that way in every sense. But what about the CPU section? If you CAN add a CPU later, that would explain the reason for the lowest-end model. And while I'm at it... where is the power supply? It MUST be on the bottom. They always show the open box, and I'm guessing from the location of the power plug it is on the bottom. (There is that picture that shows how clean the G5 is inside and how messy a WinTel box is. But there HAS to be some wires between the drives, power supply, etc. Anyone?

It looks like the 1.8 gig version uses the same motherboard as the dual 2 gig version. If so, it seems likely that you'd be able to go get another processor at some point. Usually it's not apple that sells these. For the same reason you'll never go to the apple store to buy ram, they make their huge markup by selling whole systems (When I got my g4 I got the lowest amount of ram possible, then filled it with 3rd party ram. Apple was charging 3 &4 times market value).
As for the wires and such, I believe that everything in there has been taylored around easy slide in connectors and things that must have wires may well be hidden on purpose.

Back