What Are Your Favorite Mice?

Mobius Rex

Registered
My two faves are: a Logitech Cordless Trackman Wheel, and a Microsoft Intellimouse Optical(I know, I know, Microsoft is Satan's spawn, but they do make some really good mice; please don't tar and feather me!).
I don't need a plethora of buttons; just three are generally fine for me. And a scroll wheel, of course.
I really like my Logitech since I can place it on my lap, or beside me when I'm using my Powerbook in bed. Cursor movement is controlled with a ball on the side which is manipulated with one's thumb. Works really well.
My Microsoft Intellimouse has five buttons; I've set two of them for going forward and backward. It's designed for both right and left hand use.
I've set the scroll wheel button on each to open my applications folder.
Both mice fit my fairly large hand really comfortably. Their ergonomics is excellent.
So, what mice do you fancy?

I like my MacAlly DotMouse. It has pretty much the same feel as Apple's Pro Mouse, which I like.

The most important thing in a mouse, for me, is the texture. Apple and MacAlly have nice, smooth plastic, which provides great traction against my fingers. I can just flick the mouse around with my fingertips, keeping my wrist rested comfortably on my desk.

I have a Kensington 5-button Optical Elite mouse, but OUCH! After a week of using it I had shooting pains all up my mousing arm, so it was back to my DotMouse. The problem was the texture; terrible traction against my fingers, which forced me to grip it with my entire hand and move it from my elbow instead of my knuckles or wrist. Again I say OUCH.

The only problem I have with the DotMouse is that it has a freakin' blue LED on it. I'd really like to smack some sense into whoever came up with that idea. It's literally bright enough to use as a flashlight. And it's always on. But I covered it with some electrical tape, so I'm happy now.

I have my third button (the wheel button) configured as a "right-click" for contextual menus, and my second button is for application-specific tasks. For example, in web browsers I have it open a link in a new tab, and in the Finder I have it option-double-click to open an item while closing its enclosing folder. I don't find contextual menus nearly useful enough to justify my big second button. :)

I like my logitech mx510, but me i need at least five buttons plus scrollwheel (ideally 6). I am very tempted to try one of the new logitech laser mice but the button layout doesn't suit me.

In case you ask, i want left and right click, at least one expose button on the side, preferably two, and at lest one button near left and right for command click (to open in new tab, or open safari from the finder), plus a button to go one tab to the right.

I'm using as main mouse at work a tiny 2 button and scroll mouse that works great for my needs - PC line pcl-wn01 and at home I also got a similar kind of tiny mouse. So simple and tiny mice are to my taste.

i love my basic ms wheel optical mouse. right button is control click, and the wheel button is expose all windows. so being stuck with only one monitor again (after loosing both, and only being able to afford one replacement) i can get to all my open apps with just a click.

I also favour the original MS IntelliMouse Optical. One of the best mice ever made - and I think it's sad it's not made anymore. It was perfectly sized for me, good button/wheel feel etc. Gladly, I still have one. :)

Back