what can make a zip disk slow ???

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
This is probably a stupid question however my ZIP disks are getting slooooooooooooow. It takes an hour to copy 80MB into em lol.

Maybe they need a reformat ??? or maybe because I have been using em for the past 5 years ?

any ideas ?

(they are all windex formated but this should not matter-- it did not matter before)

First of all, Zip 250 drives are slow to write to 100MB disks. There is no way around it. It's because the 250MB drive has smaller heads for the narrower tracks on 100MB disks, so it takes 3 passes under the write head to write to a 100MB disk.

Second, I have heard the Mac drivers for OS X are slower than earlier drivers.

Third, try running the Iomega tools and verify your disk. It's possible the disk itself could be going bad. Then the drive would have to write multiple times to get the data down.

Chris

hmmm....
I have a 250MB ZIP internal at work, my home one is a 100 external SCSI but it does take abnormally long to read the info (copy to HD), like 20min per 90MB of data.

I think I will run my disks through the tools to check em out.

Admiral

I have the same problem on my mac at the office if I'm running OS X 10.2.3 with the USB Zip 100 it takes for ever to copy to and from the disk.

If I boot into OS 9 it works fine : (

I have tried two different external Zips, still have the same problem.

But if I use an internal Zip disk 100 it works fine.

Starbuck

my work internal is an internal 250 lol and it still takes forever lol ;)

When I brought em home, the ones that took 1 hour to write, took 17 minutes to read/copy to HD :p

Zips are going the way of the floppy ;)
I wish the PC manufacturers would kill off teh floppy already
;)

I told Dell your concerns and they agreed to stop making floppies part of the standard package. Next I'll hit up Gateway.

hahahahahaha.... such patronization ;)
Floppies are made so cheaply these days that they are worth jack and they perform shitty. 1/3 of the time the drives have problems with them, -- lets not forget the poor suckers that put image on them for PPT presentation and they expect them to load REALLY fast hahaha

The zip is a convenient way of carrying files from home to work or what ever. I use it. While the copying to a zip may be slightly slow, I do large files one at a time.
With a Zip you can write over and resave. With a CD burner - you would need CD-RW and that takes much time to rewrite your file, save it to the hard drive, then burn all the files again.

Oh - don't forget Micron, HP, and Acer. They still included floppy drives on all their machines. :)

Back