What does it mean to boot into os9

PHARAOHk

Registered
I just ordered a powerbook and found out it won't boot into os9. I want some software that "can't run in osx but will work in classic mode." Could someone please inform me as to what this means?

Thanks,
(((k)))

go to www.macupdate.com and look for any software that doesn't have the little circle after it. or to www.versiontracker.com and look under the mac os tab. these programs will not run natively and must launch the classic environment to function. have fun learning what it used to look like on macs. :D

huh, you said you wanted some software that would run in classic. i pointed you to some that is free so that you can see for yourself what it means. i'm not quite sure what you're asking otherwise.

classic is the emulation of previous mac os's. that's it. it's like running virtual pc basically.

"boot into ___" is the operating system the computer will (or in this case will not) load when you power it on... the new Macs will not boot into OS9...

BUT, "Classic" mode WILL run OS9 software in OS X - well, MOST software (a few rare ones wont for some reason).

You should be ok running the software you want.

HTH

I think Ed got that one backwards! :p
Pharoah already has a program that runs in OS 9, but wants to know what that means.

You might not even be able to install classic on your PowerBook. If it did include an OS 9 install, then this will be in the Classic system preferences pane.

What is the program? Perhaps we can point you to an updated version or an alternative?

Oh, when I asked the question I didn't know that the last version computers basically had two operating systems. I was speaking of a specific program called baby wow. The quote from my first post was from their website. Now that I reread my posts sorry if I came off sounding rude. I am taking a leap of faith buying a ridiculously priced 17 inch powerbook having never used apple before. I like the percieved philosophy of apple and the idea of a unix and media based os. Because of apple's low market share I understand they could either sell quality or quantity. You get what you pay for Hopefully. Anyway, yeah, The 17 will have osx and an os9 emulator which is really just for light applications and fun.

(((k)))

I was typing before I read symphonix's post. As I think I understand now the 17 will come with the classic emulator?

Yeah, that is about right. In classic you can run all older apps that have not yet got an osX counterpart. Classic was an important thing before all the giants such as Adobe etc. made osX versions of their applications. Nowdays i only use it to play old games.
You just have to doubbleclick an older application for Classic to start and run it. first time though it will take some time (like 15-25 seconds) cuz classic is starting up. after that you can have it in the background and you wont even notice it and apps will start right away.
When you are in a "classic-application" you can tell by the fact that everything looks a bit uglier. the buttons, the windows, the menu bar etc. The blue apple in the top left corner is striped in different colours and the open/save dialog looks different. this is because you are basically in OS9 and not osX.
Hope this helps!

well, i think we were both wrong symphonix - at the moment he is still waiting for the powerbook and trying to relieve his anxiety about what he doesn't know. pharaoh - we'll be glad to answer as many questions as possible once we undertand tham.
the difference between your new powerbook and my old imac is that i can boot the whole rig from the previous os - os 9, or i can be booted in os x and run some of the programs that don't run in os x in classic mode. frankly, as a new mac user without a stockpile of old apps, this shouldn't affect you. you should be able to restrict your software purchase to os x versions and never have to worry about classic. unless maybe you see an old game on sale for some cheap price or some freeware that does something specific and never got ported. for instance, i saw the original Myst the other day in Fry's for $1.90. now somebody like you who would just like to add some software might be tempted to buy it and run it in classic just for something to do during your transition period.
areour answers getting any clearer? ;)

Sorry, Ed. I guess that sounded a bit rude.

Oh, and Pharoah, Ed's explanation is pretty right. But just to point out WHY apple are no longer allowing us to boot into classic: by booting into classic a user can circumvent the file-system security of Mac OS X! This would require physical access to the machine, as the user would have to hard-reset the machine and probably need to boot from a CD, but it is a security hole nevertheless. By ensuring that your Mac won't boot into OS 9, Apple have made sure nobody can get access to your locked-away data even if they had access to your machine (ie: if it was stolen).
You can, apparently, still run classic in an emulation mode (though I can't imagine how you actually install classic into the system, now) which is handy for older programs and games.

Oh hello,
does anyone think Apple will make classic run alongside mac os x like X11 does now?
regarding the program..isn't it best to look and see if it is a carbon app that way it can work in both environments?
goodnight

Yup. Once classic emulation has loaded up, the only way you can tell the difference is that the menu bar turns classic-grey, and the apple menu gets its traditional rainbow-stripes. It is really well integrated.
Oh, and Ape, just because an app is Carbon doesn't guarantee it will run natively under OS X. Most will, but I have encountered a few early-Carbon apps that won't run natively.

Back