What is the difference between Xfree86-rootless and Xfree86-rootless-threaded??

Hydroglow

Registered
I keep getting this error when I try to install something. I'm using KDE on 10.2

dpkg -i /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/xfree86-rootless_4.2.1.1-4_darwin-powerpc.deb
dpkg: regarding .../xfree86-rootless_4.2.1.1-4_darwin-powerpc.deb containing xfree86-rootless:
xfree86-rootless conflicts with xfree86-rootless-threaded
xfree86-rootless-threaded (version 4.2.1.1-3) is unpacked but not configured.
dpkg: error processing /sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/xfree86-rootless_4.2.1.1-4_darwin-powerpc.deb (--install):
conflicting packages - not installing xfree86-rootless
Errors were encountered while processing:
/sw/fink/dists/unstable/main/binary-darwin-powerpc/x11-system/xfree86-rootless_4.2.1.1-4_darwin-powerpc.deb
### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
Failed: can't install package xfree86-rootless-4.2.1.1-4

Should I just remove xfree86-rootless and install the xfree86-rootless-threaded? I can't install any packages because of that error above. Has anyone else come across this?

Hydroglow,

At the moment, only a very few packages do *not* work with the standard xfree86-base, and require xfree86 with the "threaded" option:

I know of the packages "cdat", "libxine", "xine-ui", "kxine" and I'm sure more will come. I changed to the threaded packages myself because I found out that "kdemultimedia" depends on "libxine" which depends on the "-threaded" stuff and also I had recently installed the package "xine-ui".

Please, show me the result of:

'fink list -i --section=x11-system'

Cheers...

Originally posted by sao
Hydroglow,

At the moment, only a very few packages do *not* work with the standard xfree86-base, and require xfree86 with the "threaded" option:

I know of the packages "cdat", "libxine", "xine-ui", "kxine" and I'm sure more will come. I changed to the threaded packages myself because I found out that "kdemultimedia" depends on "libxine" which depends on the "-threaded" stuff and also I had recently installed the package "xine-ui".

Please, show me the result of:

'fink list -i --section=x11-system'

Cheers...

Hey sao thanks for your help again here's the file info that you wanted to see.......

[Hydraulixs-Computer:~] hydraulix% fink list -i --section=x11-system
Information about 1918 packages read in 30 seconds.

i xfree86-base 4.2.1.1-4 XFree86 libraries, utilities, clients and...
i xfree86-base-sh 4.2.1.1-4 XFree86 libraries, utilities, clients and...
i xfree86-rootles 4.2.1.1-4 XFree86 libraries, utilities, clients and...
[Hydraulixs-Computer:~] hydraulix%

Hydroglow,

1- You could find out which packages depend on the -threaded branch and remove them.

Code:
find /sw/fink/dists/ -name \*.info | xargs grep Depends | grep threaded | more

I know that if you installed "bundle-kde" or "bundle-kde-ssl" from 'unstable' (In the new bundle-kde and bundle-kde-ssl in 'stable', kdemultimedia3 has been removed as a default dependency because of this issue), you will have installed 'kdemultimedia3' which depends on libxine, which depends on the -threaded version of xfree86.

If that's the case, you could remove 'kdemultimedia3' and it's packages, and then continue your installations.

2- Or switch to the -threaded packages like I did, here is how:

'sudo dpkg -r --force-depends xfree86-base'
'sudo dpkg -r --force-depends xfree86-rootless'

and if you also installed the -shlibs packages, remove them as well:

'sudo dpkg -r --force-depends xfree86-base-shlibs'
'sudo dpkg -r --force-depends xfree86-rootless-shlibs'

After that, you can run:

'fink install xfree86-base-threaded'
'fink install xfree86-base-threaded-shlibs'

'fink install xfree86-rootless-threaded'
'fink install xfree86-rootless-threaded-shlibs'

(you can simplify by giving fink just one command, but like this is a bit more clear for beginners)

The only adverse effect of using the "-threaded" packages is that 'matlab' for Jaguar will not work, but if you don't care about using 'matlab', I know that the xfree86-threaded packages are perfectly stable.

Cheers...

Back