What is the Mac OS without Dragging?

Jasoco

Video Gamer/Collector
My iMac, that's what.

All of a sudden about 2 hours ago I got a problem. It all started with me trying to mount an image for an app called "AquiliCalendar" when the OS quit all apps one by one. Not quit. CRASHED all apps. So I tried to delete the damn DMG when I found out I CAN NOT DRAG.

I thought it a fluke. I quit the Finder. It still wouldn't drag.

I tried to drag text to make a clipping, it won't drag. I can't drag icons in DragThing, I can't drag icons in the Finder, I can't drag text to make clippings. If it has to do with Dragging, it does not work.

Also, I have a weird "Disappearing Icons" problem. I think THAT'S related to an outdated CandyBar, but I don't know how. Twice now I've had any custom icons disappear as if they didn't exst. Nothing to click on. That meant folders and anything Iconographer changed. But I don't see how the file that holds the icons can affect the draging. I don't know what it is, bt it seems all dragging is handled by one library or something. But what?

I literally made a backup last night, but it was just a copy backup with SilverKeeper and not a carbon copy so I can't restore that with SilverKeeper. And since I CAN'T DRAG, I can't restore what I want. And I'm not Terminal l33t so I can't copy files that way.

I rebooted, no luck. I shut down, let it sit for a minute and started up. No luck. I lathered, rinsed and repeated, NO LUCK.

SOMETHING IS CORRUPTED!

I Don't wanna have to freaking reinstall again because then I'd have to redownload the huge update on my miniscule 56k. Also I'd have to do the trouble of copying over what I want. I HATE THIS!

If it weren't for the fact that I just reaffirmed my Windows hatred by suffering through 2 hours of using it, I'd consider switching back. I mean APPLE does NOT equal MICROSOFT. And let's KEEP it that way. Can ANYONE help me? Anyone had this problem? I am so sick of this. I am literally crying inside. I used to cry like this when Windows screwed up. OS X does not equal Windows. Until NOW.

I just had that problem (disappearing icons and loss of drag ability, also after mounting a disk image, OmniWeb to be precise) However, for me restarting did the trick, and everything is back to normal for me now. Don't know what caused it though. I mounted the disk image last night, and didn't notice the loss of dragging until this morning, so I am not sure they are related. The only thing is the OmniWeb icon was the first to go, followed this morning by one other. Like I said though, a restart fixed it.

Originally posted by cybergoober
Just a hunch.

Try deleting the .DS_Store file on your desktop and then restart.

No. That won't and didn't work. It wasn't that one folder. It was the entire system. Anything that utilized dragging of something wouldn't work. No matter what app it was. DragThing gave me errors, TextEdit and Chimera wouldn't drag text to make clippings, the Finder wouldn't let me do something that's become as part of the OS as the original MenuBar idea. Strange.

Originally posted by macavenger
I just had that problem (disappearing icons and loss of drag ability, also after mounting a disk image, OmniWeb to be precise) However, for me restarting did the trick, and everything is back to normal for me now. Don't know what caused it though. I mounted the disk image last night, and didn't notice the loss of dragging until this morning, so I am not sure they are related. The only thing is the OmniWeb icon was the first to go, followed this morning by one other. Like I said though, a restart fixed it.

Well, this time a restart didn't fix it. I got pissed, but have calmed down. I already Archived and Reinstalled this afternoon and am gonna update to 10.2.1 again later on. Right now I have to go through the dreaded "Setup the OS how I like it" period of my installation. *sigh*

I had hoped it was just a bad Mouse driver or something. I even copied over my backed up Library and tried to see if that would work. No. No luck. So I gave up and reinstalled. Oh well.

I also had this problem yesterday. Reboot did not help at all. I booted into 9 and ran Disk Warrior, but it hung during run (while analyzing), most probably because I changed USB mouse at that time (Got my Logitech MX700 - a beauty!). Anyway, after turning my box off and on again (and booting into X since I forgot to hold C down while booting), everything was back to normal.

This is a strange problem indeed. Will do a disk warrior scan today I think, because its rather unsettling that all applications suddenly drops dead and drag and drop stops working...

Maybe we should all also look into our console logs and see what we find there?

Looked there, didn't find anything of note. So I'm just gonna reformat and reinstall... again...

*sigh*

Found a thread on this over at the discussions board @ Apple. The thread is available here.

I hope you have not reinstalled yet... I think the problem is related to de-archiving with the latest version of StuffIT. But thats just my personal hunch...

I already reinstalled again and haven't had problems yet. knock on wood.

Thanks anyway. I'll remember that.

Back